Which Nightforce Reticle?

DocGlenn

I'm planning on getting a 5-22x50 NF. Which reticle do you like best for hunting? The scope is going on a 7mm WSM. Thanks for the input.

I have the NP-R2 in mine and really like it but I know several guys on here like the R1. My initial concern with the R1 was that it might be too busy but since I dial for 99% of my shots it might actually be better.

I am going to give it a lot of thought and may send mine in this summer and have the R1 installed. The 1 moa hash marks would make it easier for finer adjustments when using the reticle instead of dialing.

I like the R1 and R2 reticles and have shot both of them a decent amount. I recently sent one of my NF scopes back to have the NP-1RR reticle installed so i will be able to report on it in a few weeks. My only problem with the R1 reticle was that it is a little busy. Occasionally i had found myself "losing" the center cross hairs. From us selling NF i can tell you that in my experince the R1 is the most popular.

steve

What's not to like about their mil dot? I have "looked" through not shot- the R2 , the MLR and the Mil dot and I like the mil dot best. I never see you guys talk about Nightforces mil dot, why not?

Thanks guys. I'm probably leaning towards the R1 after haring what you and others have said. Having said that.......

Is there any reason why the R1 wouldn't make a good hunting/target scope? Have any of you that used the R1 whished for something different or found it too "busy"?

Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I'm probably leaning towards the R1 after haring what you and others have said. Having said that.......

Is there any reason why the R1 wouldn't make a good hunting/target scope? Have any of you that used the R1 whished for something different or found it too "busy"?

Thanks again.

I have 2 R1's and wouldn't change them. For Longrange, I'm sold on the R1. When I'm punching paper, I just dial the range and use the Crosshairs.

AJ

I also have 2 Nightforces with the R1 and I really like them! I wouldnt change, never had a problem with it being to busy as some say!

I have five of them and they are all NP1RR models. If you have time to count the hash marks without being in a hurry, then one of the others might be better for you. But, if you are in a situation where you range and then get on the critter for a quick shot, I would recommend the NP1RR. I think the NP1RR is the quickest once you have a yardage due to the reference points being broken up so that they not all the same.

My only regret is that they did not have the 8-32 NXS the year I purchased two of the 5.5-22 models. I really wish I could trade one of them and some cash for an 8-32 model.

Chawlston

I use th NPR-2 and absolutely love it...
thumb.gif

I have the mil-dot, R1, and MLR. I like the MLR for ranging, but prefer a laser. It requires less math when I am focused on game animals that are not bedded.

The mil-dot has 3.6 MOA between dots which is a little far apart. It is not a big deal to me because I use the knobs for elevation adjustments and the marks or dot for small wind. I don't shoot long range animals in big wind unless I can get at 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock.

I currently have 3 NF scopes. All came with the NP-1RR reticle. However, I recently sent my 8-32x56 back to the NF shop to have the reticle changed to the NP-R2.

I did this due to the fact that I don't click in elevation. I use the multiple MOA reference points in the scope.(I have the scopes reticle image with corresponding yardage hold points taped on the bell of the scope) I personally wish the NP-1RR had one more crosshair at 13MOA so as not to have such a gap from the bottom of the 2nd crosshair(10MOA) and the 2nd dot(15MOA).

That is why I decided to change my 8-32x56 to the NP-R2. The elevation references are spaced every 2MOA and the windage references are every 5MOA. I haven't had the chance to try the NP-R2 out yet, as it awaits the arrival of my next longrange rifle.

With that being said--It really gets down to personal preference and how you intent to use the scope. NF has several great reticles to choose from NP-1RR, NP-R2 and MLR just to name a few.

What's not to like about their mil dot? I have "looked" through not shot- the R2 , the MLR and the Mil dot and I like the mil dot best. I never see you guys talk about Nightforces mil dot, why not?

In a word....subtention. Most people prefer the thiner lines so as not to obscure their target. Especially when shooting paper and Varmints.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.