Which Nightforce reticle?

A question nf scope illuminated can you hunt with in Idaho if you take the battery out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

new shooter:

I went through this last year in preparation for a hunt in Idaho. I was going to use a Nightforce scope with illuminated reticle on one of the guns I planned on taking. I talked to the reps from the Idaho Department of Game and they told me that even with the battery out it was still considered an electronic device, and would be illegal. They suggested I talk to a game warden out of the Salmon office in the district where I would be hunting. I talked on the phone with one of the game wardens out of the Salmon office and he also said it was considered an electronic device and that if he was to check me in the field and also checked my scope that he would cite me for an illegal device according to Idaho laws.

I talked to the people at Nightforce and won't repeat exactly what their thoughts are on the Idaho law, but it wasn't positive. The did tell me that if I wanted to, I could return a scope to them and they would remove the electronics if that was what I wanted. They seemed to think that if someone was to be cited with a scope that had the battery removed so that the illuminated reticle was inoperative, that the citation would not stick but that you would probably end up in court to prove your case.

I subsequently took two bucks in Idaho last fall. On my gun was a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS, with the battery removed, and it has never been sent back to Nightforce for work of any kind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I talked to the reps from the Idaho Department of Game and they told me that even with the battery out it was still considered an electronic device, and would be illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]So would tritium lighting escape - or collimator's like the TRIJICON? - just a thought.

My understanding, from talking to them, is that you would be o.k. It's not the illumination of the reticle, it's the "electronic device" they are dealing with in their description. In fact, if I remember correctly, I was told that any reticle that was illuminated or "glowed", and did it with no electronics attached, was legal.

You can contact them for yourself and they will explain it to you. They were all very friendly and helpful, they just didn't say what I wanted to hear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I too am confused on which reticle would fit my needs. Max yards, 500-700 for whitetails/coyotes. I'm thinking the 3.5X15X50 with the NP-1RR. I have no experience with measuring with Mil's and suspect the ranging ret's might be a benefit. Any pro's and cons regarding this retical.

Delta Hunter,

I have two NF scopes and very much agree with the others who have said you will not regret getting one. Both of mine have the MLR reticle and I like it just fine, although the majority opinion here seems to be the NPR-1.

In your post you said you wanted to extend your range out to 800 or beyond. I suggest you consider the 5.5-22 rather than the 3.5-15. Seldom if ever will you find 5.5X to be a handicap over 3.5X, but in my opinion at distances over 500 yards the higher 22X is an advantage.

Either way, just jump in there and buy it........it's only money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Plus you can pass it along to your son in 20 years or so. He will probably appreciate it more than the private schooling anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DH

I got myself a NXS 5.5-22 x 50 with MLR and am delighted with it, a friend had the 3.5 -15 but since I got mine he too has traded up to the larger magnification.

Steve, Doing a build on a Predator action with a Sako extractor. Heard this can be a problem with the NXS 5.5 -22 which I am considering for the gun. Any input?

How is the MLR reticle divided?

Cant seem to find any info on it from the Nightforce website.

Nvermind, it was just to obvious for me to see it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.