Which Nightforce Reticle? NP-R1 or Mil-Dot

5Redman8

Looking at getting a Nightforce Varmint 3.5-15x56mm with either of the two above reticles.

Which one and why. Looking for 0-800 yards performance on targets from crows to deer. Any suggestions?

Also just read the Varmint series does not have side focus....how important is side focus...I know newbie questions suck but i need help before dropping $750 for a scope.

Would a Leupold MarkIV be a better choice with side focus...i think they have side focus.

Kyle

[ 12-03-2004: Message edited by: 5Redman8 ]

...hate to further "muddy the water"... but the "R2" reticle is by far the most popular and the 5.5-22x56 is by far the most popular Nightforce scope... also, there are numerous differences besides the side or front parallax focusing between the NF "varmint series" and their "NXS" models (preferred)... the Leupold definitely has it's advantages as well in color rendition, more price competition etc... www.midwayusa.com has a fantastic 6.5-20 Mark IV on sale now... hope this helps...

My NF Benchrest (8-32) & Varminter (5.5-22) have the NP1-RR reticle and suits my shooting well. But, all of my hunting/shooting at furry things is at prairie dogs. The circles are great for ranging them. Your shooting to 800 yds on larger animals may be better suited to using an NP-R2 reticle. The graduations are clearly defined and perhaps quicker to use than a Mil-Dot. If you are buying the scope used and these are the only reticles available, I like the NP1-RR. NF will change the scope to any reticle they have for about $80.

Side mount PA is not a must for me. I am left handed and the front works just as well as side adjustments. Good luck ... Mike

[ 12-03-2004: Message edited by: Bluebeemer ]

The reason for these two is because bearbasin has the NR Varmint 3.5-15x56mm for $750

I did see the midway sell as well and wondered which would be better....Lup 6.5-20....NF 3.5-15....both about the same $$$$

Help me make a choice.

Thanks,
Kyle

...since the NF & the Leupold are both outstanding quality, I would choose the one that best "balances" & "looks the coolest" on the intended rifle...at least, that's my personal "scientific" method...it is agonizing though, we've all been there...

Larry, if that is the case...nightforce would get the nod just because none of my buddies know anything about them.

I would have the cool new toy angle.

Kyle
wink.gif

[ 12-03-2004: Message edited by: 5Redman8 ]

Some words of advice from someone who has been down the same road you are planning on traveling.

To my eyes the Nightforce is the superior optics.
The tracking on many Leupolds leaves a lot to be desired.
The Nightforce model you are talking about cannot be fitted with the NP-R2 reticle. I tried to have it done to mine and they would not do it.
Buy a 8-32 BR model with the NP-R2 or watch the classifieds for something smaller.
I bought my brand new 3.5-15 with Np-1 for less than 750.00 so shop around.

[ 12-03-2004: Message edited by: Troy Glass ]

Comparing the Leupy and NF Mil-Dot reticles, I prefer the NF. The hollow dots are easier for me to use. I have Leupy and NF scopes, and both are outstanding scopes. I prefer my NF for the NP1-RR reticle, but that is a heck of a deal on the Leupy MK-IV. The Varminter price is good, but not as good in comparison IMO. Remember, it is easier to dial in a lower than max power on the Leupy, but the NF ain't gonna' make it past 15X on the day you want to see a little more. Tough decision to make ... Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.