• Sako A7 roughtech Range

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Tikka T3

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would say the vast majority of folks with pre-fit Savage barrels are happy. I have one on 300 WSM that shoots 1 inch at 300 yards and cleans up with no barrel brushing. It's fantastic. I'm taking it on a long range antelope hunt in September. I'm sure there can be problems, but I think I am hearing a little bias here.

Plus, If I send a barrel back to my pre-fit maker with a description of the issue. They would not tell me to kiss their a**. They would look at the barrel and replace if necessary or provide guidance on what my issue might be.

If It sounded bias I'm sorry, that was not the intent. The intent was to warn people of pre chambered barrels, not to talk them out of doing what they want or buying what they want,

I am also not trying to help the gunsmiths get any more work (They already have more than they can handle.

Do I have an opinion? absolutely ! I have seen so many botched pre chambered and pre threaded
barrels that I Personally will not do one. The reason is simple there is no way to predict what problems the barrel will arrive with.

I am glad you are happy with yours and I am sure others have had good luck with some of there's
but it is still a pig in a poke in my opinion.

I have one of the best barrel makers around that I buy from , and he makes pre fit and chambered
barrel but I won't use them because he cant fit the barrel to the action because he doesn't have it when making the barrel so he must cut the threads small enough to fit any action.

Sometimes the fit may be ok if the action threads are tight, but all to often they are lose and you are stuck ,You cant make them tighter. At least a smith can cut new threads (Done often) and fit the barrel to the action for a precision fit.

A sage old smith once told me that "If you cant find time to do a job right the first time where are you going to find time to fix it"

I am a do it your self person myself, but there are some things that need the skill of a craftsman and
I bow to there knowledge and let them do the work.

Just my opinion and experience talking (That is what this web site is for and you will get many opinions that you may not agree with) I just like to help people avoid the mistakes that I have made if I can.

Thanks for your comments.

J E CUSTOM

Looks like the Sendero is winning out. My original gut feel was between the Sendero II and the Savage 110 FCP HS as both come with decent-excellent stocks and "should" be decent-great shooters out of the box. Both have great aftermarket support, edge going to Remington, however...My dealer has stated that due to the recall the remington will take a month or longer to get so now its time to decide on the wait...I personally like the looks of the remington better and the fact it has a 26in barrel, but savages have been known to have great out of the box accuracy. Decisions decisions!!!

For your needs, I think the Savage LRH would be a very good choice. It has a 26" barrel, aluminum bedded stock (Accustock), comes with an adjustable brake, and is 1.5 pounds lighter that the FCP. Plus it comes with a Karsten adjustable cheek piece.

For your needs, I think the Savage LRH would be a very good choice. It has a 26" barrel, aluminum bedded stock (Accustock), comes with an adjustable brake, and is 1.5 pounds lighter that the FCP. Plus it comes with a Karsten adjustable cheek piece.

What I dont like about them though is I heard they have a different lug or something making it harder to find aftermarket stocks and I've heard in magnum calibers they are weak...

What I dont like about them though is I heard they have a different lug or something making it harder to find aftermarket stocks and I've heard in magnum calibers they are weak...

I believe you are thinking about the entry level Savage Axis. The Savage Long Range Hunter is a Savage Model 11. The LRH has a pretty good accuracy reputation.

I was thinking a lighter rifle might be better walking and shooting from a tree stand. :)

I believe you are thinking about the entry level Savage Axis. The Savage Long Range Hunter is a Savage Model 11. The LRH has a pretty good accuracy reputation.

I was thinking a lighter rifle might be better walking and shooting from a tree stand. :)

No its supposedly any savage in a accustock. They have a different recoil lug or something that is potentially a weak point in the magnum rifles and makes harder to do a stock swap.

ok guys,

I will be ordering my rifle tomorrow...so anyone who has not voted yet please do! thanks for all the votes and opinions!

I would try the Rem 700 Long Range. There around $700

i'm seconding that. i had bought one new and it was very high quality for one of remington's basic lines. it's just an older model sendero style with no barrel fluting. it is a great buy, especially for the price.

watch what barrel twist you buy. my barrel only likes BIG bullets (180 grain 7mm vld's... which are hard to find)

Re: Which new rifle? POLL Browning L.R. Hunter

For a bit over $1,000. you can get a Browning Long Range Hunter in .300 Win mag.
Fluted barrel, 3 lug bolt, unique magazine/floorplate design, laminated stock. Garanteed one MOA.

This is a very high quality rifle worthy of a good long range scope with a mil reticle (not a BDC reticle!).

Re: Which new rifle? POLL Browning L.R. Hunter

For $1,300. you can get a Browning Long Range Hunter in .300 Win mag.
Fluted barrel, 3 lug bolt, unique magazine/floorplate design, Carbon fiber or Realtree camo stock. Garanteed one MOA.

This is a very high quality rifle worthy of a good long range scope with a mil reticle (not a BDC reticle!).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.