Which new powder for 308

Hntbambi

I am getting ready to order some powder from Graf's and want to check out one of the new powders for the .308 Win. What powder is recommended for the 168/175 gr bullets now. I used the old style of IMR 4895 and 4064 for the past 15 years and I have played with Benchmark and 168 gr lately. With the new powders on the market I am seeing some impressive speeds on here. What is the accuracy like with these new powders? I am looking at RL17, Power Pro 2000 and 3000, or any other recommendations.

Vihtavuori N550 delivers some seriously impressive velocity with either of these weights, and good accuracy to boot. Just an observation here though, both of these bullets deliver their best accuracy out of a 308 Win when they're loaded in the 2600 neighborhood.

Not using these in a Garand or an M1A, are we?

Vihtavuori N550 delivers some seriously impressive velocity with either of these weights, and good accuracy to boot. Just an observation here though, both of these bullets deliver their best accuracy out of a 308 Win when they're loaded in the 2600 neighborhood.

Not using these in a Garand or an M1A, are we?

Oh great responce, I would not have asked about the auto loaders(got to watch the pressures)

I have been using R15 in my 308 win for quite some time and could not be more pleased. I cant get the Vihtavuori powders localy.

Reloder 15 is not only perfectly acceptable to the gas systems of either of these, it's alos the powder currently used by Lake City to load the vaunted M118LR 175 grain Sniper/Match ammunition. Hard to argue with a pedigree like that.

Reloder 15 is not only perfectly acceptable to the gas systems of either of these, it's alos the powder currently used by Lake City to load the vaunted M118LR 175 grain Sniper/Match ammunition. Hard to argue with a pedigree like that.

Kevin

Can I just come stay with your for a weekend and you teach me everything you know?

Thanks guys. Nope, no op rod to worry about. I am shooting a 700PSS and a Model 7. I tried Varget in the past and did not get decent accuracy. With IMR 4895 and 168 SMK, I average just under .7 MOA for 50 shots. It does shoot a tad slow though. I do have a few of the VV powders but they are double the price and can be a pain to find when needed. I know as N165 is my favorite in my 300 Wby.

I am just looking to update things and see what's new. I may just get a few one pounders and see what works for me. How about IMR 8208 XBR?

Oh great responce, I would not have asked about the auto loaders(got to watch the pressures)

I have been using R15 in my 308 win for quite some time and could not be more pleased. I cant get the Vihtavuori powders localy.

My Remington 700 .308 loves R15.

5photo2.jpg

hntbambi,

the 8208 XBR is probably usable for lighter weight bullets in the 308, but will definately be on the fast side for the mid weight projos you're talking about here. It was developed to compete with V-V's N133, which dominates the BenchRest game. Great stuff for 6mm PPCs with 68-70 grain bullets, way too fast for 308s with 167-175 grain bullets. Try it if you want, but you'll hit the pressure cieling before you reach top velocities, and probably still have pretty poor load density.

Thanks Kevin, Hodgdon shows it being about 50-70 fps slower than the 168-175 gr bullets than 4064, at 42 gr that is fine for density, but a tad slower than expected.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts