which mcmillan

shooterpunk2

Which Mcmillan would be a better choice for some long range hunting? I dont want it super light, but I want to be able to pack it around. Im looking at the A5 and A2. ALso does anybody know how much weight the sniper fill or magnum fill adds? This will be going on a Savage 110fp 300 mag. Thanks!

I can't answer the question of the fill, but I know there are more options available on the A-5. You get an adjustable cheek piece, thumb catch on the stock. You can also get heigth adjustment screw to shoot with out a bag and give a steadier stance. I don't own one, but if I were to order one it would be the A-5.

sniper fill is the heavyest. you should check with mcmillan to see if they will run the a-5 in anything less if you want it lighter

You might want to look at the A3 if you are going to be carrying it a lot. The A3 has a narrower forend than the A5 that to me is MUCH easier in the hands all day...and yes, I have both.

The other all-round go- to for me is the HTG/M40 stock..it just works!
Any option avail on the A5 is avail on any of the other A series.

Mcm can give you the weights for the different fills.

If you can, try them out in your hands first as YMMV.

FWIW
Wes

If you like the McMillan A-5 and A-3 here is their new variation of both.

a3-5.jpg
ADJ A3-5 NEW

This stock is a variation of our famous A3 stock but with the addition of an A5 type butt hook on the bottom of the butt. The flat on the bottom of the hook is about 3/4" wide. This stock is only available with an integral cheekpiece which gives both vertical and horizontal adjustments, and is available with either the standard or thumbwheel elevator system.

A3-5, looks like the best of both worlds.

I wouldn't get sniper fill if you wanna lug it around a lot. I have one in A5 and it ways a ton. Its a pain in the butt to carry around. Too heavy IMO.

If you decide to go with the adjustable cheekpiece I would STRONGLY recommend to ask for Terry Cross' hardware [KMW Precision]. I have used both the original McM types and Terry's version is so far ahead for solid lockup that doesn't slip that I wouldn't go any other route.

When you call McM you might want to ask for Dick Davis and he can explain more.

FWIW
Wes in AZ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.