Which McMillan Stock?

Blueman

I'm getting ready to do my first build, I think I've got most of the components figured out. It will be a 7mm STW on a stiller predator (left handed), wyatts extended box, #4 (maybe #5) fluted SS barrel, jewel trigger, etc. What I'm not sure of is what McMillan stock I want to put on it. No matter what stock it is I think I'm going with edge technology. Also know I primarily shoot prone but being it will be a hunting rifle it must be able to be shot off hand as well. I want something with a high cheek piece, I believe I'm going to put a 50 mm huskema or 56 mm nightforce on it . Here is my thoughts:
Game scout: a lot of people seem to like this stock, my concern is will I hate the vertical pistol grip? Will the palm swell be too large for my liking?
A3 Sporter: another popular model, will this stock be difficult to shoot prone with? Will it have a similar palm swell as the game scout that I might not like?
McMillan Hunter: I don't know a lot about this stock and it seems nice. Will it have a high enough comb?
A1-3: I just found out about this stock and it really has my interest. My concerns, will the comb be too high, will it shoot from prone well?
I'm open to all other suggestions and comments but please let's keep it to hunting stocks ONLY. Thanks for the help in advance.

A3 Sporter- Great looking, nice cheek piece, pistol grip is good, and the fore end is wide. The palm swell is too thick. This is my favorite stock.

McMillan Hunter- Comb too short, good palm swell, more like factory stocks, fore end small and rounded. A great fit for light weight rig.

There is no wrong choice here.

Keep in mind if you do go with the edge technology you cannot put a cheek piece on it. So you'd better make sure the height is what you want otherwise you'll be wanting something else or have to use tactical stock packs (or similar) to raise the cheek height.

I think the edge GS comes in around 1.5lbs and regular fill at 2.2lbs. Beware that too heavy of a barrel on that light of a stock may create a front heavy rig. I have on order a regular GS just in case I want a cheek riser on it.

*I really doubt you will have any problems shooting prone with the list of stocks you've mentioned. They are all designed to be shot in different positions. Through all my research I've not heard of anyone having an issue shooting prone with those stocks and their combs being too high, if anything too low for some.

If you're primarily shooting from the prone the A5 is an excellent stock.

The A3 sporter is an excellent multipurpose stock.

The M40 is an outstanding stock all the way around and is probably my favorite of the entire line.

The HTG is a very good all around stock but not designed for prone shooting as much as the others are.

They have samples of all of their stocks and if you are willing to pay the freight they will send them to you to try out for fit.

Aren't the M40 and the HTG the same?
Also, I thought I heard that you can now do the edge fill with an adjustable cheek piece.

The vertical grip only becomes an issue when you are trying to carry the rifle in the ready position. I have an A3 and A3-5 and like the A3 better. The HTG is a very comfortable stock, prone or standing.

I really appreciate the advice, keep it coming! Anyone have any experience with the A1-3? I really would like to get some feedback from some users. Thanks again

Also, I thought I heard that you can now do the edge fill with an adjustable cheek piece.

The vertical grip only becomes an issue when you are trying to carry the rifle in the ready position. I have an A3 and A3-5 and like the A3 better. The HTG is a very comfortable stock, prone or standing.

Not sure, if so I need one on my htg edge. Maybe they are integrated, not saddle. Unless they installed pillars in the butt to keep from being compressed.

Give Justin a call at McMillan. He can help you with stock options. The Game scout is available with adjustable cheek. I've ordered 2 gamescout flat tops with Edge fill & white fill in the buttstock for installing LRI cheek hardware. A3 is also nice with the LRI cheek hardware.

I have had an A5 in my hands before and I didn't like the palm swell, it was too thick for my liking. I think that is why I'm questioning if I should even get a stock with a vertical pistol grip. Is the A3 & Gamescout the same thickness?

I use a game scout with my long range hunting rifle and am very happy with it. I also have an A3 on a different rifle and got the game scout because of the more narrow forearm. For a hunting application where I could possibly be shooting off of a stick in the forest, the more blocky forearms of some of the other stocks is just to bulky.

And carrying the rifle during forests stalks is also more comfortable with a more narrow/rounded forearm like the game scout has.

I also have big hands so I prefer the vertical grip over a standard hunting style grip. I also like the feel of the HTG, but the comb is slightly lower and the grip is not as big compared to the game scout.

In the end it comes down to preference and your style of hunting.

I have had an A5 in my hands before and I didn't like the palm swell, it was too thick for my liking. I think that is why I'm questioning if I should even get a stock with a vertical pistol grip. Is the A3 & Gamescout the same thickness?

The A3 game scout has the same grip as the standard A3 tactical stock. I believe the A5 is the same.

They are similar but I think the HTG is narrower side to side. There's also a difference in the angle on the grip.

You'd have to shoulder both to really tell the difference I think, pictures just don't tell the whole story.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.