• 308 Win

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • 30-06 Sprg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none/other

Votes: 157 72.0%

• Total voters
150 ablr 7mm is advertised @ .546 g1.
147 6.5mm eld is another bullet I use. It's .696 g1.
If the 162 eld 7mm could be successfully loaded in the 7mm-08, then it would be a very close race between the 147 in a 6.5 cm. 6.5 would still win but it would be very very close in wind drift. Vertical Tradjectory isn't much of an arguing point anymore. Most folks seem to keep blinders on when thinking about terminal performance and delayed kills. This is one of the arguing points of the 270 win as it was loaded in the old days with factory ammo nearing 3100fps with a 130 grain. Whether a person chooses to believe in hydrostatic shock or not, the results are undebatable for those who have witnessed the effects of many higher velocity kills. And for those who witness all the instant kill high shoulder shots on TV, I've done that myself with an old 35 Remington at 1800fps. If a person can pull off high shoulder shots every time, he should just build himself a 6mmbr to hunt with and be done with every other caliber.

Heck even the 123sst has a .510
I thought long and hard, done some studying on the 123sst because of the advertised g1 of .510. I ended up using the 140sst in that rifle. I really like the ssts for their impressive terminal performance. The 140sst was listed somewhere around .520 g1. The 129sst was listed at only .485 g1. So reasoning led me to believe that the .510 g1 of the 123 had to be a miscalculation. I could be wrong, If some one has verified that .510 is correct, I would be very interested in giving it a try.

Pure unbiased facts here, cause I have owned & took game with both:
300 win mag vs 6.5 creedmoor
Most factory 300 win mags favor a 180 grain sometimes a 200gr.
Most 6.5 creedmoors love 140s
You can't hardly push a 180 fast enough with a 300wm to beat a 6.5 cm in wind drift while pushing a 140 to it's max. For that same token, a 6.5 creedmoor can't push a 140 fast enough to match the devistating terminal performance of a 180gr from a 300 win mag at longer distances. Does everyone need that much devistating performance? Maybe, maybe not. Does everyone need the wind resistance of the 140 6.5cm? Maybe, maybe not. But a 180gr 7mm will beat the 147 eld in wind while pushing it at least 200 fps mv or more slower than the 147. The 180 7mm will usually not be as tramatic as a 30 cal 180, But makes the the 30 cal 180 look like a fool in the wind and doing it at a slower muzzle velocity with much less recoil and delivering much more ft/lbs energy at extended range than the 180gr 30 cal or 147gr 6.5 cal. Now, we can move on up to the 215 Berger, 225, eld in an extra large 30 cal magnum and start to match the 180 7mm in the wind. That's what I'm doing now with a 300 Norma. No doubt in my mind that the big 30 cal will be more effective on large game than the 7mm 180, but the 7mm 180 is way more pleasurable to shoot. This is why I'm partial to 7mm/284 cal. I don't hate any other cartridge or caliber because im a rifle fanatic. It's way more enjoyable when you like every cartridge and bolt action that you come across. But, once again I admit that I am partial to 7mm.

Last edited:
Pure unbiased facts here, cause I have owned & took game with both:
300 win mag vs 6.5 creedmoor
Most factory 300 win mags favor a 180 grain sometimes a 200gr.
Most 6.5 creedmoors love 140s
You can't hardly push a 180 fast enough with a 300wm to beat a 6.5 cm in wind drift while pushing a 140 to it's max. For that same token, a 6.5 creedmoor can't push a 140 fast enough to match the devistating terminal performance of a 180gr from a 300 win mag at longer distances. Does everyone need that much devistating performance? Maybe, maybe not. Does everyone need the wind resistance of the 140 6.5cm? Maybe, maybe not. But a 180gr 7mm will beat the 147 eld in wind while pushing it at least 200 fps mv or more slower than the 147. The 180 7mm will usually not be as tramatic as a 30 cal 180, But makes the the 30 cal 180 look like a fool in the wind and doing it at a slower muzzle velocity with much less recoil and delivering much more ft/lbs energy at extended range than the 180gr 30 cal or 147gr 6.5 cal. Now, we can move on up to the 215 Berger, 225, eld in an extra large 30 cal magnum and start to match the 180 7mm in the wind. That's what I'm doing now with a 300 Norma. No doubt in my mind that the big 30 cal will be more effective on large game than the 7mm 180, but the 7mm 180 is way more pleasurable to shoot. This is why I'm partial to 7mm/284 cal. I don't hate any other cartridge or caliber because im a rifle fanatic. It's way more enjoyable when you like every cartridge and bolt action that you come across. But, once again I admit that I am partial to 7mm.
And you don't necessarily need a magnum For the 180 7mm to beat/match a 30 cal or 6.5 cal in the wind. It can be done in a 284 win or 280AI.

Same old my Dodge, Chevy, Ford truck is better than your's cause I own it. 10 pages of beating a dead horse & he's still dead & starting to smell. Not 1 person has changed their mind. People with too much keyboard time.

I've owned Dodge , ford and Chevy. Ford's been pretty good to me. My dad was a mechanic for general motors, they put food on the table when I was a kid. I have two dodges and they've been good to me. Nope, I have no hate or discontent for any of them or any cartridge. I don't loose any sleep at night over any of them.

Trying a different cartridge or buying a different brand rifle from what you've had is an adventure. You find something that you might like or dislike about it. I used to absolutely hate Savage. I had nothing to base it on other than looks. Bought my first Savage and it was the first 6.5 creedmoor I purchased as well. Ive liked savage and 6.5 creedmoor ever since.

The less things you have hate for, then the more enjoyable of a time you will have but I also understand that it's human nature for all of us to want to think what we have is the best, just because we are the ones that have it. That's called pride, and a fellow won't always reap joy from pride cause theres always gonna be something or someone to out do what everyone else is doing.

Found an unexpected advantage of the Creed last week. A guy had a 7-08 Browning Abolt madalian for sale at work, everybody had either bought a Creed or didnt have a clue what a 708 even was...........pickt it up with 2 boxes of cheap ammo, unfired with the tag still on the barrel for $250. I have the dies, bullets and brass from an old savage that I regret letting go.
There aint a critter in the state that can tell the difference between the Creed and 708......the 7 is just cheaper to shoot ;-) Would I have bought it if it had been a Creed, NOPE, one of the crayon eaten coolaid drinkin fools would have spent a whole lot more for the same dang round.

MachV congrats! You did great. Cabelas had 4 Zastava Mausers in 7mm-08 with fantastic stocks, nicest I've ever bought for $229 on closeout. Full length claw extractors for $249ea. I bought all 4 & they paid the tax.

Found an unexpected advantage of the Creed last week. A guy had a 7-08 Browning Abolt madalian for sale at work, everybody had either bought a Creed or didnt have a clue what a 708 even was...........pickt it up with 2 boxes of cheap ammo, unfired with the tag still on the barrel for $250. I have the dies, bullets and brass from an old savage that I regret letting go.
There aint a critter in the state that can tell the difference between the Creed and 708......the 7 is just cheaper to shoot ;-) Would I have bought it if it had been a Creed, NOPE, one of the crayon eaten coolaid drinkin fools would have spent a whole lot more for the same dang round.
You will love that 7mm-08 and it will love 4350 or rl17 and probably several other powders. 145 Speer btsp is a good cheap bullet for it but you got lots of choices for good bullets as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts