Which long range target scope?

KAB

I have just retired (fixed income) and am getting back to my hunting and shooting roots. There is a group of guys who sponsor some target shoots here in this area. They shoot 3 rounds at; 100, 300, and 500 yards. Classes for rifles are sporter, factory varmit, and open. I am thinking of giving it a try in the sporter. I would be shooting a Remington 700 .223 Rem. I inquired about optics and was told I could get by on some kind of varible up to 24x but 32x would be better. Not sure this game is for me but would like to give it a try. I know when it comes to glass you get what you pay for, but I don't want to invest an arm and a leg. Any suggestions?

All in put is welcomed.

Since you are now on a fixed income tells me you want keep it resonable. I would recommend the Weaver V16 or V24, Nikon Buckmaster 6 to 18 ? I have used a lot of Weavers and they have always worked really well and don't kill the wallet. If you have more disposable income I would look at the sightron big sky series or even the Slll.

I don't know what you are wanting to spend but for value based scopes I would consider the following:

Bushnell elite 4200 or 6500 series
Burris Signature Select or Black Diamond
Sightron SIII
Leupold VX-II or VX-III

I prefer USA made scopes with lifetime warranties, but sometimes money is the determinate.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look, should find something there to meet the needs and budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.