Which long range .338 Bullet to use?

So that's something that's often said here…that SMKs aren't for game. I've got a ton of them, but never loaded any for elk. Mostly because every time they're mentioned here someone pops up talking about how bad they are. Frankly, it's frustrating hearing that there's only one bullet out there worth shooting. When you come to a consensus on which one it is, please let me know!
I have a buddy that has used the 250 SMK for a long time with great results, antelope/deer/elk out to some pretty long ranges. One of my favorites is the 300 SMK, I've used it from real close to way-way out and they have always smashed everything I sent one at.
h

Last edited:
Well Sir, I don't know where all the hostility is coming from or if/why it is directed at me. But I honestly don't care what you use. If you side with other's opinions (some out of ignorance and not having used a certain bullet) over those that actually have extensive experience with said projectiles, then that's your prerogative.
Now saying that, I do have a lot of experience with SMK's on game. I will say that the only ones I will use on big game is the .338's (preferably the 300 grainers). That's my take on it, take it or leave it. Not all bullets of the same make and manufacturer react the same when it comes to terminal performance.

I've recently been hunting a new area, and I'm finding 95% of the shots on elk are pretty long, 400-800 yards shots are typical. The country is rolling grass hills or low sage, the views are wide open. I've been shooting a .338 RUM with 225 nosler accubonds, and I'm thinking I need something heavier. I've got three loads that are shooting super sweet
1. 250 accubond at 3065fps
2. 250 SMK at 3020fps
3. 250 Berger elite hunter is shooting great at 2905fps and 2995fps
Does anyone have any experience with these billets on elk at these ranges? Some shoots may be a little iffy, ie animal not presenting a perfect broadside shot. What can I except. All three are basically shooting the same accuracy.
thanks.
I'd go SMK or Hornady BTHP personally and do. Both are more readily available and great shooters for me

Well Sir, I don't know where all the hostility is coming from or if/why it is directed at me. But I honestly don't care what you use. If you side with other's opinions (some out of ignorance and not having used a certain bullet) over those that actually have extensive experience with said projectiles, then that's your prerogative.
Now saying that, I do have a lot of experience with SMK's on game. I will say that the only ones I will use on big game is the .338's (preferably the 300 grainers). That's my take on it, take it or leave it. Not all bullets of the same make and manufacturer react the same when it comes to terminal performance.
No hostility was directed your way, sorry! It was frustration. I'm a total newbie trying to figure out which bullets to use, and every time I think there's a consensus, someone says "that bullet sucks!". Every time. It's driving me to drink.

No hostility was directed your way, sorry! It was frustration. I'm a total newbie trying to figure out which bullets to use, and every time I think there's a consensus, someone says "that bullet sucks!". Every time. It's driving me to drink.
Totally understandable! It is like this with just about everything. There are bullets I've shot and would never recommend, however some swear by them. Options are a good thing, picking the best can be taxing.

I have a couple light mags and Ive had problem, breaking and busting tips off AB's then not feeding right. Id rather have a dent on front-end feed ok.I have exits out to the 800 yard range regular with my 300 OTM.The Dozier I'm sure could shoot threw a small tree then kill a elk, heh.The monos are tough.

Recent Posts