which loads for 7mm-08?

We have four 7mm-08s at my house now. They're all different makes. All four will shoot the 140 Gr NBT under an inch when loaded over a max load of Varget. Although we haven't used it on game yet, this will be our deer load and then switch to the 140 NAB for elk. This is in a Browning X Bolt, TC Venture, Savage Youth Axis, and a Remington R-25.

I was thinking of going with a 20inch barrel for her which varget may be too slow of a powder for...decisions decisions

I have a 21" barrel on my Savage and Varget is still the best powder I've tried in it. May not be the fastest, but accurate and consistent with 120-140's.

Not much love for rl 17, gonna have to get another bottle of varget , seems to be the consensus favorite.

OK here's my experience, using 20" barrel I have found no powder more accurate than IMR4350. I use 45gr behind a 140gr accubond, hot load so work up to it. No pressure signs and full case fill, for what its worth I use norma brass and CCI BR-2 primers at .012 off lands. Its at four's now but have final powder ladder to do (going tenth grain increments each way 1/2 grain), hoping to get in the threes when its fully tightened down. Its deadly on big whitetail, more DRT's than any other caliber I've used on deer! Good Shooting Dave

I use 140 grain Berger VLD Hunt in mine with 40.7 grains of varget. Very accurate in my 20" barrel and it's lights out when the deer or hogs are hit. Start at minimum loads and work your way up.

OK here's my experience, using 20" barrel I have found no powder more accurate than IMR4350. I use 45gr behind a 140gr accubond, hot load so work up to it. No pressure signs and full case fill, for what its worth I use norma brass and CCI BR-2 primers at .012 off lands. Its at four's now but have final powder ladder to do (going tenth grain increments each way 1/2 grain), hoping to get in the threes when its fully tightened down. Its deadly on big whitetail, more DRT's than any other caliber I've used on deer! Good Shooting Dave
X2

Recent Posts