Which load?

It was a normal fall hunt. Dry and cool. Loaded to .005 in with berger 140. Lapau brass. .002'neck tension via bushing die. Buddy shot a deer and reloaded. Deer was drt so ejected the round and boom, mess. Luckily the bullet wasn't hard lodged and was tapped out.
I didn't have a comp rifle pull one too. 243 used for prs. I was jamming 110's .007. I switched to the 108 and .020.
Honestly, I know the risk is still there no matter what and I'm about convinced it's not worth it regardless. May just shoot the jumped load or play with jumping even more.

Personally, I rely more on target placement for nodes than chrono numbers. From the groups, I can't see a load to chase. Lots of opinions on this though. Keep us updated
I have an inexpensive chrono so don't trust it completely either. Plus where the bullets hit is ultimately what were after right?
Curious that these are not promising to you. There's around .25 moa of vertical at 400. To be honest, with the 18 power scope I have now I don't know if I can hold it much closer then that!

Dumb question: Why does it say the die setting is .030" for one but .000" for the other?
It's .050" per turn so there's 0.020" difference going from 0.030" to 0.000". Don't know if that answers but I know it sounds weird. It's relative to the number of turns you are on.

groups are similar .
jump is better velocities , sd is better by a few ,

id test a few seating depth ,

i dont see a reason to jam em and risk issues if a 10 jump shoots same groups with better sd

I have an inexpensive chrono so don't trust it completely either. Plus where the bullets hit is ultimately what were after right?
Curious that these are not promising to you. There's around .25 moa of vertical at 400. To be honest, with the 18 power scope I have now I don't know if I can hold it much closer then that!
Groups looks great for that distance. Don't get me wrong. I was just mentioning I would need more than a couple targets to see a trend/node. Good shooting

50 rounds into this new rifle and things appear to be settling in. For a 6 pound gun off a bipod with 18 power scope, hard for me to picture doing anything better really. I'm considering staying with the jammed load. Better numbers on the jumped but don't typically trust my chronograph that much. Low vertical on both, slightly better on the jammed. What do you guys think?View attachment 183540View attachment 183541View attachment 183542

I'm unclear on this but did you shoot more groups than these two, you probably did and I just missed it.If not, I'd sure be shooting some more. Looks like you're in AZ, coues rifle I take it?

Lastly, and this is just me but I wouldn't use a load that I was jamming as a serious hunt load. Twice I've seen that bite someone in the buns during a hunt and for me it just isn't worth it.

It's .050" per turn so there's 0.020" difference going from 0.030" to 0.000". Don't know if that answers but I know it sounds weird. It's relative to the number of turns you are on.
Gotcha. Was thinking jam was at .030" and jump was .000" on the chart, should read .020" different the other way. Need more sleep

I'm unclear on this but did you shoot more groups than these two, you probably did and I just missed it.If not, I'd sure be shooting some more. Looks like you're in AZ, coues rifle I take it?

Lastly, and this is just me but I wouldn't use a load that I was jamming as a serious hunt load. Twice I've seen that bite someone in the buns during a hunt and for me it just isn't worth it.
I have shot many other groups now but with lots of cleaning between shooting and working up loads very slowly for three different bullets. Was hoping to have an obvious winner right off the bat but everything was around .8 to 1.2 moa. These were the first groups on a fouled barrel and the same charge weight.
Yes, new backpack Coues rifle!

I am assuming that a 6 lb gun is a hunting rig. With that assumption I would never jam a hunting load. Too much can go wrong when you least want it to. Like when you need to unload a live round from the chamber. Good shooting!
I never put a bullet into the lands in any of my rifles, eventually that will cause a powder mess in the action and stick a bullet in the barrel. We never have a cleaning rod in the pack (least not me) so it can ruin your hunt or day.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.