Which lightweight sporter/tactical stock for Rem 700 in 300 RUM?

jmden

I'm tired of shooting my 300RUM factory Rem 700 stock prone. Specifically, the buttpad on a sporter has too little contact with the shoulder when shooting prone--doesn't come up high enough for enough shoulder contact. Shooting a well set up 338AX with tactical stock really had shown the glaring issues with this particular 300 RUM, Rem 700 stock pron.

What is a cheaply priced, lightweight, kind of a combo tactical/sporter stock with more emphasis on the tactical than sporter that's in stock somewhere/quick to get?

Thanks,

Jon

Bell Carlson Medalist M40 Varmint/Tactical Vertical Grip Rifle Stock

Anybody using this to have a better platform for shooting prone? Comments, thoughts? This is about as much as I'm wiling to spend on this at the moment. The particular rifle is not a huge priority for me.

Another I like more is the Greybull Precision stock. If I was starting a lightweight build, I think this could easily be my goto stock: http://greybullprecision.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=6

Comments?

Wow...I really thought I might get some helpful input here...but nothing yet. Is there not anyone else that has any ideas?

I have a 300 RUM win model 70 in a McMillan fiberglass stock called the Hunter. It has a monte carlo cheek piece and a palm swell. I had them add a decelerator pad. It weighs around 2 1/4 lbs. Whole rifle weighs 9 1/4 lbs. Currently shooting the 230 gr Berger hybrid at 2975 fps. This stock works well for me and reduces felt recoil even prone. I liked the stock so much I had one made for a Ruger M77 tang safety.

McMillan Hunting Stocks, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Hunting & Sport Stocks

Thanks, guys, for the ideas. I think I may now be leaning towards the Greybull Precision stock, even though it's a bit more cash. Anybody know if Greybull is 'still kickin'? Who is it that makes Greybull stocks?

AZ, what's your 230g Berger/300RUM recipe? I've got some 230s on the way for this rifle (26" barrel) and am planning on using Retumbo and Fed 215Ms to light it off, but am getting 2993fps with the 210g VLD, so I don't think I'll be getting anywhere near your velocity.

I have the 230s seated to fit and feed from a wyatt's mag box, can't tell you the distance to the rifling. Worked up to 102 gr of RL-33. 102 had a hint of bolt lift so I backed down to 100 grs.

RL-33 is slower than Retumbo. Based on the four cartridges I tried with RL-33, a max load of Retumbo is a good starting point for loading RL-33. Work up from there.

jmden, I'm not sure which stock you currently have but for a simple not so expensive stock have you thought about buying a used or take off HS Precision stock/s that come on the different factory Rem 700's, like the Sendero, 5R, PSS, or LTR??? I've used 4-5 of these on different rifles and I always put the Defensive Edge Adj. cheek piece on them and they make for a great inexpensive stock. You can usually pick one up here in the classified section for $200-$225 and depending on your scope height, you may not even need to add Shawn's adj. cheek piece.

I have the 230s seated to fit and feed from a wyatt's mag box, can't tell you the distance to the rifling. Worked up to 102 gr of RL-33. 102 had a hint of bolt lift so I backed down to 100 grs.

RL-33 is slower than Retumbo. Based on the four cartridges I tried with RL-33, a max load of Retumbo is a good starting point for loading RL-33. Work up from there.

Oh. That's right. I remember your thread on RL-33. Sounds promising. I was using US 869 with 240SMKs in the 300RUM a few years back and was at just under 3000 fps MV with 109g of that, as I recall. Hogdon still says: "US869 is effected minimally by varying temperatures, a key feature for top competition and hunting accuracy." I still felt like it was too temp sensitive. I wonder how RL-33 does in this department?

jmden did you have a real long OAL with 109gr US869 and the 240SMK???

I'm pretty maxed out at 108g US869 with 230 Bergers in a 300AX (Kirby's Lapua Imp) OAL 3.830 (20thou off) The 108gr for me starts to show pressure and in a 28in tube is 3260's FPS. 106gr groups much better and still runs along at 3150's FPS.

I've got some RL33 but haven't tried it yet. I'm interested to see if RL33 produces better FPS than US869 and groups better/worse, too.

jmden did you have a real long OAL with 109gr US869 and the 240SMK???

I'm pretty maxed out at 108g US869 with 230 Bergers in a 300AX (Kirby's Lapua Imp) OAL 3.830 (20thou off) The 108gr for me starts to show pressure and in a 28in tube is 3260's FPS. 106gr groups much better and still runs along at 3150's FPS.

I've got some RL33 but haven't tried it yet. I'm interested to see if RL33 produces better FPS than US869 and groups better/worse, too.

Interesting...you know, it's been awhile, that may have been a load for the 200g Accubond, now that I think about it more.

Yep, I apologize guys. I just went and found a ammo box with a few old round of 240smks and it was 103.5g US 869 with a 4.090" (with hex shaped Sinclair bullet comparator) OAL. Can definitely hear the powder moving around when you shake the round, so there's more room in there. This rifle has a long factory throat and I installed a Wyatt's 4" box in it.

Just talked to Don Ward at Greybull Precision. Sounds like the ownership issues were just settled last week and of the 5 original owners, John Burns is not an owner of GreyBull Precision anymore.

I asked Don what he thought John would do now and he said he thought John would (more or less) form his own company and keep doing the same kind of thing...be a competitor, in other words.

At any rate, they had the stock I wanted in stock, so I ordered one. This'll be for a combo long range/in the trees elk gun in 300RUM pushing the 230 Berger OTM. I think this stock is the best combination of good shape for prone, but handles well otherwise that I've seen.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jmden, I'm curious, why are you going to use the 230 OTM and not the 230 hybrid target?

From what I have seen on this site, I believe the 230 OTMs have a good track record. It may just be that I haven't seen as much about the 230 Target bullet, but I think folks think that the OTM are likely to create a bit more damage on their way through.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.