Which lightweight sporter/tactical stock for Rem 700 in 300 RUM?

Forgot to mention that the 300 RUM that is using the 230 gr TARGET hybrids is 24" long! Velocity with RL-33 is 2975 fps.

There was a discussion somewhere here where a poster cut into several of the heavy 30 cal hybrids to discover the jacket thicknesses are almost identical. While Broz used the 230 OTMs there are a few of us who are using the Target versions.

While I haven't taken anything with my rig, Bob Beck has used them with great success:

Bob Beck posted the following on this website, regarding the performance of the 230 match hybrid target:

"For the 230 I am using so far it has been the target. Not that the jacket is any different than the OTM, just the nose design for a little higher B.C. Now one important thing I would like to mention, is that I noticed the 230 traveling 3000 fps out of my 26" bbl took away some of my concerns about the thicker jackets.

Exactly! What would a longer barrel do?

I wanted to try the 230s and the 27" lilja I got on a deal didn't have enough twist. So I bought a reamer with PT&G's suggested throat and rechambered a 24" 300 win mag SS takeoff myself on an old Sheldon lathe for grins. It was okay with H1000 but it lit up with RL-33. I figured any velocity would be fine and the barrel would be handy and make the rifle much lighter. Little did I know.....

I could be wrong but I have not read a single article where someone shot both bullets. The OTM came out first so many like Broz grabbed it and used it. Bob Beck recently began using the newer 230 match hybrid target. If you have followed his shows, some of which you can see here, he previously used the 185 VLD with the 300 RUM.

I wouldn't worry about any vel differences. Heck you could grab the newest addition the 215 hybrid and do quite well as Broz showed up this year.

For me and I am sure many others we read of Broz's adventures last year and put together a rifle for use witha 230 bullet. I chose the match hybrid target because it was available and it has the higher BC.

I will also say I have had some poor accuracy attempts with VLDs in the past and only had a few rifles that would shoot them. The hybrid design changed things and now I am getting around to switching many of my rifles because they respond with accuracy with little or no load tweaking.

IMO just choose either 230 gr bullet and run with it.

The description i see for the 230 OTM talks about the bullet remaining stable at subsonic velocities. I don't see that in the description for the Hybrid Target. Not sure if the open tip (no lead in the tip of the nose) is part of the design that might make the OTM stable at subsonic velocities or not. Highly unlikely that subsonic stability is much of an issue for most of us, but just something to keep in mind if indeed the OTM is designed for subsonic stability and the Target isn't.

I thought I read somewhere, maybe here, that the OTM was made shorter so it could be loaded to a shorter OAL so it would work better thru the stock magazine and the Hybrid Target was designed for maximum BC.

I asked if anyone noticed one of these 230's shooting faster than the other with the same load because my dad shot both out of his 300AX yesterday and the OTM was consistently faster, by about 25fps, than the Hybrid Target. I'm trying to double check the numbers I wrote down but as luck would have it, he isn't home right now. Either way, it's certainly not enough to be concerned with. Was just curious if anyone noticed the same thing.

B23,
The way your worded your question threw me off. Now we can say someone did shoot both. Come to think of it bet Bryan shot both a few times. <grin>

Anyway...did you compare the bearing surfaces of the two bullet? 25 fps isn't much it might just be changing conditions. Which bullet was fired first? Would be interesting to reverse the order next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.