Which Lever gun?

Stix

I need a lever action 30-30 for close range pig shooting. Looking for good value for money, whats the recommendation? Marlin 336? Rossi Rio Grande?

I will want to mount a low powered scope on it. High magazine count a bonus.

Give me your opinions guys!

Cheers

Stix

336 would be my suggestion. And I would go the route of 35 remington for cartridge selection or bigger....444.....45-70. 30-30 is ok, bigger just gives the Lever a bit of margin and expands its use to bigger game.

My personal opinion would be to find a Savage model 99C in 308win, gives you 5+1 and the ability to shoot tipped bullets and hot rounds as it is designed more like a falling block than a lever gun and will easily handle 60k+ psi. I have one of the originals, the model 99A in 250-3000 sav and it cycles better than a 94 win or 336 marlin. Problem may be cost though, if you find a used one at a gun store your likely to pay 6-650$ for it.

How about the Marlin 1895 in 308 Marlin Express. ??

Quite a bit flatter shooting than the 30-30, and still a traditional type of lever action. It uses the soft rubber tipped semi-pointed bullets. I saw a guy use one on a 450 yd antelope with a ballistic reticle.......one shot kill.

I need a lever action 30-30 for close range pig shooting. Looking for good value for money, whats the recommendation? Marlin 336? Rossi Rio Grande?

I will want to mount a low powered scope on it. High magazine count a bonus.

Give me your opinions guys!

Cheers

Stix
Skip the 30-30 and move up to the .308 Marlin or .338 Marlin in of course the Marlin lever action.

All good choices I have a 444 marlin and love it. I have several cast bullets I use from 210g up to 330g plus jacketed. I can use the same bullets as my 44mag pistol makes it simple for me.

30-30 are... slightly better than useless (but very close).

Savage 99's are bomb proof. I had a BLR in .284 and the thing was about as accurate as a lever can get, but they are a PITA to maintain.

I would probably step into a semi before a lever, with the exception of a 45-70 1895 guide gun, but for pigs i would go semi for sure.... 260 on an AR platform

30-30 are... slightly better than useless (but very close).

Savage 99's are bomb proof. I had a BLR in .284 and the thing was about as accurate as a lever can get, but they are a PITA to maintain.

I would probably step into a semi before a lever, with the exception of a 45-70 1895 guide gun, but for pigs i would go semi for sure.... 260 on an AR platform
I've owned four of the Marlins over the years and still have two, one being the guide gun and the other it's longer barreled big brother.

All have shot very well and all have been completely flawless in operation no matter how poorly I treated them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.