Which laminated thumbhole stock?

Buffalobob

I am thinking about re-stocking a FN with a laminated thumbhole stock and am looking at the Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole and the Richards Microfit Thumbhole Target. The designs are very similar. The Richards cost nearly a $100 more. Is there any difference in quality that justifies the extra cost of the Richards?

I can't say anything about the boyds stock but the Richards thumbhole I purchased was very rough when it arrived. Kirby and I both had much work to get it fitted and finished nice. The quality was there but I was surprised by how rough the shipped product was. It was my first custom stock purchase and will try a mcmillan next time.
I think kirby does quite a few of the boyds maybe he can shed some light on their product.

I also ordered a Richards Microfit for my 9 year old's rifle and they are very rough. This was the first wood stock I have ever ordered so I have nothing to compare it with.

This is a boyds, it finished nice. I would not say it was rough though for a WSM or any mag you have to open the barrel channel up. Action fit was good on this rifle and from the start the lug was tight to the stock bed. I bedded it and the fit is very nice. I have two rifles wearing Boyds' handles and would not hesitate to go for another.
JRS-SuperDuperShadow.jpg

deer4.jpg

This is of course two shots of the same rifle. The other is my 22lr.

Thanks BFR

That is good advertising there.

I am just curious about why two stocks that look the same have a cost of $100 difference.

I guess you could say ad.

But I am just a happy customer that has spent a couple hundred bucks with them.

The pic with the deer was taken because I did all the work on the rifle myself and I am kinda proud of it.

FWIW, I'm putting a Boyd's laminated thumbhole varminter on a 22.250AI that I'm having built. It wasn't particularly rough when I got it in, though plenty to work with. The reason I answered this post is because the folks at Boyd's are a real joy to work with. They really understand what "customer service" means!
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts