Which is the Cadillac of brass prep centers?

Troutslayer2

All these years and I am still chamfering and cleaning primer pockets by hand. Looking to speed this process up with one of those fancy electric prep centers. Which one is the best option that you only need to buy once?

The Giraud tri way trimmer is the Cadillac of trimmers and chamfer tools. As for primer pockets I wouldn't bother with clean them. There isn't any really benefit to it.

All these years and I am still chamfering and cleaning primer pockets by hand. Looking to speed this process up with one of those fancy electric prep centers. Which one is the best option that you only need to buy once?
Lyman prep center is a good step up from doing all by hand. Fingers still get tired though if doing many cases.

I'v been using the Frankford Arsenal Case Trim & Prep Center for a long time. I use for most of my case prep, 6CM, 25CM, 65CM, 6.5Grendel and AR's need to be fed, I process lots of 5.56, but lately I'm thinking, I need something even faster?

The Ultra Mag & Nosler cases, are still mostly trimmed on the Forster manual, because they're not shot with frequency, of the smaller/mid size cartridges.

1609175315065.png

I'v been using the Frankford Arsenal Case Trim & Prep Center for a long time. I use for most of my case prep, 6CM, 25CM, 65CM, 6.5Grendel and AR's need to be fed, I process lots of 5.56, but lately I'm thinking, I need something even faster?

The Ultra Mag & Nosler cases, are still mostly trimmed on the Forster manual, because they're not shot with frequency, of the smaller/mid size cartridges.

View attachment 236823
Had to show off the Bird Dog..... didn't ya.
Hahaha

View attachment 236823
Did you get that plastic tray from frank ford arensal? I have same trimer never thought of tray that looks like it made for it.

View attachment 236823
I like the red tub under it, is that a Frankford part, what is it called? I have the same unit, the shafts wobble giving case mouths uneven finish, I have wondered if others see that and if it's significate? I love the primer pocket tool and case trimmer though.

I've always said, pick a color as they are all mostly the same, all torque no speed. Having an RCBS and a Frankford on two different benches it just doesn't matter. I use them mostly for primer pockets on both my precision loads and plinking ammo. Although, I use a Giraud Power Trimmer on my plinkers and I trim my precision loads manually by hand.

View attachment 236823
This the the workbench of a truly obsessed man. Just the kinda guy you want to solicit information from. Cause it is obvious he knows his stuff on several fronts.

Judging from how much work I've had to put into my fathers 2012 Cadillac CTS4 in the past couple weeks to get it to pass emissions and drive like a Cadillac should with only 68K miles, stop squeaking/creaking going over speed bumps, and to repair the worn/torn leather on the sea that also creaks when you sit or move in it for some stupid reason (yeah, real luxury quality there...), I'd rather have the Lexus of brass prep centers. I cannot believe how bloody terrible that car is for what it was purported to be, to be honest... haha.

Last edited:
Everyone is posting nice prep setups but lets be honest, the Cadillac of prep setups is the Dillon CP-2000. They advertise a rate of 3000 cases per hour and after seeing one run in person, I absolutely believe that. Maybe at that speed it's more the F1 of case prep and not a Cadillac....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts