Which is better in your opinion

mwflydog

Trying to decide between a 7mm stw or a 7mm RUM for long range hunting (elk and mule deer). Which would be better for 800+ yards and why? I'm a newbie, thanks for the help.

Matt

The 7 RUM will be better for elk past 800 yds. More case capacity means higher velocity, more energy on target and less wind drift.
However the 7 RUM will have less barrel life and the long throating may make it difficult to get the VLD type bullets to group well (large jump to rifling) although I have heard good reports with the 175 sierra matchking. The 200 gr Wildcat bullet would be pretty good though.

The 7 STW will have less recoil and slightly more barrel life.

With your requirement of elk past 800 yds I would go with the 7 RUM. The Remington Sendero II would be a good place to start.

Stu.

the 7 rum will be better for elk past 800 yds. More case capacity means higher velocity, more energy on target and less wind drift.
However the 7 rum will have less barrel life and the long throating may make it difficult to get the vld type bullets to group well (large jump to rifling) although i have heard good reports with the 175 sierra matchking. The 200 gr wildcat bullet would be pretty good though.

The 7 stw will have less recoil and slightly more barrel life.

With your requirement of elk past 800 yds i would go with the 7 rum. The remington sendero ii would be a good place to start.

Stu.

+1

j e custom

You will have more room to move the bullet out toward the lands with the STW. This is needed as the throat gets scorched by the amount of powder used by both of these. The 7rem will carry 1000#s out to 1000yds The STW to 1100yds and the RUM to 1150. 1000# of energy is at the very bottom of where the 180 Berger can be relied on every time. It will work at less energy but your on the brink of disaster. The throat life difference from a 7rem mag and a 7rum or stw is measured in multi hundreds of rounds.
A brake on a 7 rem is a nice touch but not required. Lay down behind either a stw or rum on an uphill shot without a good brake. Make sure you bring a needle and thread and some ambesol to stitch yourself up.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.