which is better? .300 win mag or .300 RUM

archer786

ok well im sure this is a question that has probably been asked before. but im considering building aother rifle but im torn between what caliber i want to build. i have a .300 win mag already and i know that its is a capable caliber for long range shooting. but i have not had any dealings with a ultra mag so i have no personal experience with one to compare the two calibers. the only thing that i know of the ultra mag that i like is that it is an un-belted case. but i've never have any problems with the win mag belted cases so i really dont think that alone is grounds for choosing one or the other. so does anyone out there have any input on if there are any advantages to having the ultra mag over the win mag?

i'm quite certain that with either caliber the end result will still be the same but i'm always up for something different. one upside i see to the win mags is that i already have the loading dies for it. but anyone that could shed some light, feel free to share.

ok well im sure this is a question that has probably been asked before. but im considering building aother rifle but im torn between what caliber i want to build. i have a .300 win mag already and i know that its is a capable caliber for long range shooting. but i have not had any dealings with a ultra mag so i have no personal experience with one to compare the two calibers. the only thing that i know of the ultra mag that i like is that it is an un-belted case. but i've never have any problems with the win mag belted cases so i really dont think that alone is grounds for choosing one or the other. so does anyone out there have any input on if there are any advantages to having the ultra mag over the win mag?

i'm quite certain that with either caliber the end result will still be the same but i'm always up for something different. one upside i see to the win mags is that i already have the loading dies for it. but anyone that could shed some light, feel free to share.

There is no better or worse just more powerful.

Both the 300WM and the 300RUM are easy to load for and very accurate. the difference is that
the 300 RUM will extend your effective range 200 to 300 yards on game.

I don't see the belt as a problem if chambered and loaded correctly. So if you wan't/need more
go with the RUM. if you are happy with the Win Mag "Be Happy".

J E CUSTOM

Agreed. What J E said.

The 300 RUM will kick more but if you're running a muzzle brake, then not an issue.

Yeah i agree,you may be able to have your 300 winnie reamed to a rum if you decide to go that way,leaves you with some cash for something completely different..

I own both. One thing you need to consider is recoil. There is a big difference between the win and the rum. If you are going to shoot with a break then go with the rum. If not and you are recoil sensitive then go with the win.

recoil isnt a issue, the gun i'm gonna build is goin to be heavy and i will most likely be runnin a break. so recoil isnt something i'm concerned with. the WM i have is a Belgium BAR so its not gonna get reamed for a ultra mag. i just want to build another rifle and was just wondering if there was enough advantages to a RUM to warrent me buildin one. i thought about a 7mag but my grandpa is in the process of makin one as a gift to me so i dont see the need of makin another 7mag.
this is a rifle thats goin to be exclusively used for long range. i could probly just load the WM with a heavy bullet and still reap the same results on game at range. like i said in my earlier post the ultra mag isnt something i've seen perform so i have no personal comparison so thats why im gathering info.
When the RUMs started showin up i figured that they just a gun that gives more boom and recoil for not much more result.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.