Which Hunting Knife

I have a Cold Steel Master Hunter in my pack, always. But I also carry an Edmund Davidson Integral Drop Point on my belt. BUT... I have carried every day since spring of 1982 a Buck 301 (Stockman) pocket knife.

My pocket knife has dressed a LOT of animals. In several persuasions and sizes.

Me too wonderman4.
Got my first true German made Puma Hunters Friend in 1963. I earned the whole $9 it cost by cleaning stalls, making hay etc.
I carried it a lot of years, lotta deer. I didn't over sharpen it, just careful honing, polishing. Using it on whatever animal was like they had a "zipper" installed for ease of skin parting. I passed it on to my Son along with my 1st Rem 700 30-06, when he killed his first whitetail buck.
He still has both.
I now have a number of Puma knives that I've bought on Ebay. I'm careful to only by older ones truly made in Germany and in almost new condition that can have any small marks polished out.
They cost more than $9 now or course.
Purchased my far share of Pumas as well. They just plain hold an edge.

I may get ragged on for this. But I have buck knives puma knives and a few others. But a few years back I started carrying the razor edge knife. It has the gutting blade which is extremely Sharp and I carry two or three extra blades with me. I like them that's my opinion. And it only cost about 35-40 bucks.

Me too wonderman4.
Got my first true German made Puma Hunters Friend in 1963. I earned the whole $9 it cost by cleaning stalls, making hay etc.
I carried it a lot of years, lotta deer. I didn't over sharpen it, just careful honing, polishing. Using it on whatever animal was like they had a "zipper" installed for ease of skin parting. I passed it on to my Son along with my 1st Rem 700 30-06, when he killed his first whitetail buck.
He still has both.
I now have a number of Puma knives that I've bought on Ebay. I'm careful to only by older ones truly made in Germany and in almost new condition that can have any small marks polished out.
They cost more than $9 now or course.
I have a White Hunter that my dad gave me that he bought in the late 60's, phenomenal knife!

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
Here are my 2 favorite knives The fixed blade is a Puma good German steel I gutted out a bull moose with it and it held an edge through the whole process. The Case folder has 2 blades so if one dulls you have an extra plus the rounded blade works great for opening the stomach cavity without cutting the gut! I too like the gutless method if I have to pack and am sure the Puma would work great for breaking down a big animal plus it has a sharpening steel in the sheath, but you would need something with a thinner more flexible blade for boning and getting the tender loins out!

Attachments

• DSCN9969.JPG
    DSCN9969.JPG
    518.6 KB · Views: 73
I have a White Hunter that my dad gave me that he bought in the late 60's, phenomenal knife!
These are my favorites, cool thing is the Puma is numbered, great knives though!

Attachments

• D12C7DC7-3292-4567-AD27-2A4AEC70B061.jpeg
    D12C7DC7-3292-4567-AD27-2A4AEC70B061.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 531049CF-7713-483C-9F1A-6D38CF020516.jpeg
    531049CF-7713-483C-9F1A-6D38CF020516.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74