Which hammer bullets????

wv270wsm

So after reading the 270 bullet poll and participating in some conversations I've decided I'm gonna try some hammers in a few guns . So my question to those more knowledgeable than me about the subject , here's my question . I'm wanting to try them from my 7 mm stw and my 7 mm08 so which bullet . I know you go light and super fast . Neither of these guns are for target shooting but occasionally I'll shoot them for groups . They are mostly hunting rigs. Also where do I get load data for said bullets and chamberings. Would I be good to use the same bullet in each gun ? Man that would be smoking out of the stw

I think you should start at the twist of each rifle. If they're the same twist sweet, if not you'll be limited by the fastest twist barrel you have. But, if you want to shoot the same bullet I'd go with 140. It'd still have pretty good speed out of a 08 but be a laser out of the STW. I got the 140AH up to 3400 in my 280ai. I think you'd be close to if not exceeding 3800 in the STW and 3K in the 7-08?

If they are the standard 1:9" twist for the 7STW, I would go 143 Hammer Hunter or 140 Absolute Hammer (min 1:9.25") and scream them out.
For the 7-08, depends on twist rate, as different manufacturers had different standard twists. the 140 Absolute Hammer if at least a 1:9.25", or the 131 Hammer Hunter up to 1:10".

Ok any one know right off the bat what twist a tc pro hunter barrel in 7 mm08 is ? And I can't for the life of me remember but I believe my stw is a 116 in a savage. I know it's a savage and I believe it's the 116

It's easy to measure yourself.
Use a tight patch on your cleaning rod. Measure the distance of one full revolution on your rod as you push the tight patch in. One rev in 9" or whatever gives you your twist.

I understand how to do it , but I'm 200 miles from said firearms and have several hours to kill waiting on cement crew

I just started load development in my 280 AI using the 140 gr. AH, H 4350. I had to stop at 59 grains with 3276 fps and zero pressure signs. I am headed back out to shoot 59.5 thru 60.5 to see how far I can get. That bullet in the STW would scream!

Ok any one know right off the bat what twist a tc pro hunter barrel in 7 mm08 is ? And I can't for the life of me remember but I believe my stw is a 116 in a savage. I know it's a savage and I believe it's the 116
Screenshot_20210415-193432_Chrome.jpg

143 HH in STW and 120 HH in 7mm-08. I've loaded 136 SH in 7mm-08 as well.

I've had my STW with 143s up to 3650 fps I shoot it lower because it pretty much shoots a bullet diameter hole if I can do my part. 136 SH same doe setting and charge weight impacts the same in STW so I carry it in the timber with the Sledge switch to the 143 if I need to make a long shot.

I think you should start at the twist of each rifle. If they're the same twist sweet, if not you'll be limited by the fastest twist barrel you have. But, if you want to shoot the same bullet I'd go with 140. It'd still have pretty good speed out of a 08 but be a laser out of the STW. I got the 140AH up to 3400 in my 280ai. I think you'd be close to if not exceeding 3800 in the STW and 3K in the 7-08?
Which powder were you using with your 280 Ackley? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.