Which hammer bullet to use

Approx. 3100. It is not a max load for my rifle. I didn't push my ladder test to it's limits because my hunt was fast approaching at the time. Just looked for a comfortable load that worked. I also had worked up 140 AH loads for the same gun. No pressure at 61.0 gr. of the same powder, H100V, but I didn't use it as I felt I was better loaded for both deer and elk with the 155 gr. AH.

Approx. 3100. It is not a max load for my rifle. I didn't push my ladder test to it's limits because my hunt was fast approaching at the time. Just looked for a comfortable load that worked. I also had worked up 140 AH loads for the same gun. No pressure at 61.0 gr. of the same powder, H100V, but I didn't use it as I felt I was better loaded for both deer and elk with the 155 gr. AH.
I ran the numbers on strelok for the 140 AH using a G1 bc of 450 and assuming you could get 3500 FPS from a 26" 280 AI it is traveling 1800 FPS and still has 1000 ft pounds at 925 yards. I believe it's doable because Steve gets 3386 out of his 280 AI from a 22" barrel according to the hammer website. That's only 19.07 MOA vertical correction to reach 1000 yds...talk about a deer buster

I ran the numbers on strelok for the 140 AH using a G1 bc of 450 and assuming you could get 3500 FPS from a 26" 280 AI it is traveling 1800 FPS and still has 1000 ft pounds at 925 yards. I believe it's doable because Steve gets 3386 out of his 280 AI from a 22" barrel according to the hammer website. That's only 19.07 MOA vertical correction to reach 1000 yds...talk about a deer buster
Sounds about right. I know Steve gets much better results from his 22" 280AI than I can. I tried a ladder on his recipe that hit 3386 and my gun hit excessive pressure at least two grains lower than his 3386 load. May have to send him my rifle and brass to see what he can come up with for it. 😁

We received my Son's rifle from Karl at Kamfeld Custom back in November, also a 280AI built off a Rem 700 with a 23 inch Bartlein 8.7 twist #3 contour. We started with the 143 Hammer Hunters and RL 23. First five shots ran about .5moa with 1/2 grain increases in powder. Cleaned the barrel and went up 5 more shots and never found pressure with great accuracy. We settled on 59.5 grains running a very consistent es and sd at 3130 mv. 3 shot groups at 100 yards around .40 to .50. My 13 year old boy's first 3 shots were at 300 yards and had about a 1.25 inch group. We currently only have 21 rounds down the tube but things are looking good so far. We may try the 140 AH in the future. Karl has done some bolt work and cerekote for me before, but this is the first rifle and we are very pleased. Happy shooting! Jason

Sounds about right. I know Steve gets much better results from his 22" 280AI than I can. I tried a ladder on his recipe that hit 3386 and my gun hit excessive pressure at least two grains lower than his 3386 load. May have to send him my rifle and brass to see what he can come up with for it. 😁
Heck yeah go for it...he might be one of those guys with the magic touch. I watched a show where him and his partner were hunting in Africa...seem like nice guy's

Heck yeah go for it...he might be one of those guys with the magic touch. I watched a show where him and his partner were hunting in Africa...seem like nice guy's
Jason that's awesome. I grew up shooting and hunting with my dad...that brought back a lot of good memories.. if all dad's raised their children like that this country would be in a much better shape

Send and email or call Steve and talk to the man. Easy going and will set you on the right path. Have some info about twist and elevation ready. I decided to not go with absolutes for my first round and I am running 137 Hammers in my '06 at 3200. Super easy to load I am very excited for next deer season.

I'll do that. If all goes well I will post in the absolute reloading thread. Got the 123 AH to try in my 6.5 Sherman as well.
Is that a 6.5 Sherman short? I would love to know your results. I am in the process of building one and was looking at the 123 AH. What powder?

Is that a 6.5 Sherman short? I would love to know your results. I am in the process of building one and was looking at the 123 AH. What powder?
No it's the original based on the 270 Win. I'll be trying H100V. Not sure when though. Winds are 30 mph next couple days.

Thanks for your reply..that's the one I had my eye on. Would you mind sharing a starting load for the rl 16..I have plenty of it. Thank

I'm at work but will check my notes when I get home. I can't remember exactly what it was but I went off of what Steve suggested. I'm using Peterson brass and cci 250s.
Sorry it took me so long, kinda got sidetracked. I topped out with mild ejector swipe at 61gr and 3260fps. I would start around 57gr and go up from there. I backed mine down to 60gr at 3230fps and a mid teens es. Remember this is only safe in my gun so please start low and work up.

Send and email or call Steve and talk to the man. Easy going and will set you on the right path. Have some info about twist and elevation ready. I decided to not go with absolutes for my first round and I am running 137 Hammers in my '06 at 3200. Super easy to load I am very excited for next deer season.

Sorry it took me so long, kinda got sidetracked. I topped out with mild ejector swipe at 61gr and 3260fps. I would start around 57gr and go up from there. I backed mine down to 60gr at 3230fps and a mid teens es. Remember this is only safe in my gun so please start low and work up.
Thank you...very helpful

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts