Which hammer bullet to use

stovepipe

Hello everyone. First timer from Kentucky. I have read this site and others for several years but never post on any of them until today . I have gained a lot about reloading from this site and I appreciate you guys who post here. I also heard of a kampfeld custom from this site and I'm glad I did ( super good guy) . Carl recently built a 280 ackley for me 26" 1/8 twist on a rem 700 action. I worked up a load with 180 ELD M with h 1000 that puts 3 shots into .298" @ 100 yds. I eat what I kill so I'm concerned about meat loss with this bullet. I have loaded the ELD M for my daughter in a 7mm08 they kill really fast on deer and hogs but ruin a lot of good eating in the process. I know some of you guy's have knowledge and experience with the hammer bullets so with the 280 ackley hunting mostly deer and occasionally elk what hammer bullet should I choose. Thanks

Thanks for your reply..that's the one I had my eye on. Would you mind sharing a starting load for the rl 16..I have plenty of it. Thanks

I'll do that. If all goes well I will post in the absolute reloading thread. Got the 123 AH to try in my 6.5 Sherman as well.
I thought about going with the 155 HH but it seems unlikely that higher bc would be able to overcome the extra speed of the AH ...if I'm understanding them right

Hello everyone. First timer from Kentucky. I have read this site and others for several years but never post on any of them until today . I have gained a lot about reloading from this site and I appreciate you guys who post here. I also heard of a kampfeld custom from this site and I'm glad I did ( super good guy) . Carl recently built a 280 ackley for me 26" 1/8 twist on a rem 700 action. I worked up a load with 180 ELD M with h 1000 that puts 3 shots into .298" @ 100 yds. I eat what I kill so I'm concerned about meat loss with this bullet. I have loaded the ELD M for my daughter in a 7mm08 they kill really fast on deer and hogs but ruin a lot of good eating in the process. I know some of you guy's have knowledge and experience with the hammer bullets so with the 280 ackley hunting mostly deer and occasionally elk what hammer bullet should I choose. Thanks
There is some helpful info on the Hammer site concerning the .280 Ackley as well as other calibers. They also have a forum. Worth checking out. Keep us posted on your load development. I'm always looking for load data on the .280 Ackley. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.