Which hammer bullet to use

There is some helpful info on the Hammer site concerning the .280 Ackley as well as other calibers. They also have a forum. Worth checking out. Keep us posted on your load development. I'm always looking for load data on the .280 Ackley. Thanks
Thank you. I tried the 180 eld m with h1000 and came up with this load without much trouble
20210205_165104.jpg

Very impressive
Thanks again. I bought a few boxes of the hornady elite hunter 162 eld x ammo to break in the barrel and they shoot really well also. The Barrel on that rig is a shilen. I think Carl kampfeld is a fine gunsmith myself. He did the slickest fluting job that I've seen.

I suggest you give Steve a call tell what kind of hunting you will be doing and your expectations and listen to his suggestion any one of their bullets in the correct weight for your twist will work

He told me a while back that the 155 would likely not be stable in my 1-in-9 twist 280, and recommended the 143-grain Hammer Hunter.

He told me a while back that the 155 would likely not be stable in my 1-in-9 twist 280, and recommended the 143-grain Hammer Hunter.
Well the 143 seems to be very popular in the 280AI . I would think you could get some impressive velocity with those. I sent an email to hammer asking for bullet and powder suggestions for my 1/8 twist but I haven't heard anything as of yet

Well the 143 seems to be very popular in the 280AI . I would think you could get some impressive velocity with those. I sent an email to hammer asking for bullet and powder suggestions for my 1/8 twist but I haven't heard anything as of yet
Thanks George. I didn't know that..I'll check it out. Thank you very much.

I got better velocity with the 155 AH than I did with the 143 HH.

Suggestion:
Don't email Steve. He doesn't do well with email or voicemail. Just call - and he will likely answer and talk to you. If he doesn't answr, call back. He lives on the phone😱

Suggestion:
Don't email Steve. He doesn't do well with email or voicemail. Just call - and he will likely answer and talk to you. If he doesn't answr, call back. He lives on the phone😱
George. Thanks for the info...very useful..I will give Steve a call also....I appreciate it

For what it's worth, my 280 AI in Savage AXIS II with 22" 1:8 barrel likes the 155 AH over 57.5 gr. H100V. Petersen brass and Fed GM215M primers. I took a decent size muley buck with it in Montana last Nov. One shot, bang, flop, DRT at about 100 yards.

There is some helpful info on the Hammer site concerning the .280 Ackley as well as other calibers. They also have a forum. Worth checking out. Keep us posted on your load development. I'm always looking for load data on the .280 Ackley. Thanks
I concur. Very helpful information, especially regarding 280 AIs. Be sure to look at the 140 grain info too, not just the 155.

For what it's worth, my 280 AI in Savage AXIS II with 22" 1:8 barrel likes the 155 AH over 57.5 gr. H100V. Petersen brass and Fed GM215M primers. I took a decent size muley buck with it in Montana last Nov. One shot, bang, flop, DRT at about 100 yards.
What velocity do you get? Is that a max load?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.