Which Hammer bullet for 280ai 140 Absolute Hammer or 143 Hammer Hunter

Josh06

Probably won't have a shot further than 300 yards max for Texas whitetail. I'm torn between the 2 and can't make a decision....usually it would be both and see which one shoots best in my gun but I don't think accuracy will be an issue with either.

Take a look at the absolute load data and the Hammer Hunter load data on this site. I went with the 140 AH in my 280ai and was able to get it over 3400fps before pressure. I haven't shot it since but I think I'm going to shoot for a node around 3300 or so. At that speed it's just aim and shoot out to 300.

I reviewed all the data I could find for 280ai and 7saum. I chose to load the 140AH, the regular Hammer's made sense if I was regularly hunting at 500yards plus, but the rifle I built was specifically for 400 yards and under, so the AH was the easy choice. New brass arrives next week and should hopefully be shooting some test loads soon after.

Take a look at the absolute load data and the Hammer Hunter load data on this site. I went with the 140 AH in my 280ai and was able to get it over 3400fps before pressure. I haven't shot it since but I think I'm going to shoot for a node around 3300 or so. At that speed it's just aim and shoot out to 300.

What powders did you try? What was your final load?

That is some serious speed for 280ai!!

I used the 140 gr. AH, H 4350, Fed. 215 M, Nosler brass, Lee crimp die 1/8 turn seated at the front crimp grove for 3228 fps. I found pressure at 3300. RL 16 is a good powder for this bullet also and might give you an extra 75 fps.

Attachments

• 280 ai AH 140 GR. 1 8TH TURN.jpg
    280 ai AH 140 GR. 1 8TH TURN.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 264
I went with the 154 AH deadblow in my 280 AI. 24" IBI gets me 3160 FPS with H100V. Putting together another 280 AI and plan on running the 140 AH in that one.

I got a regular 280, and the guy above hit it on the nose H4350 seems to be a solid powder for that 140 bullet I concur. Once you get up to 150 and above go with a slower burning powder like H4831 or R23 etc.

I run them both in my 1:9 twist 280 AI
RL23 with the 143 HH at 3250 fps
HV100 with the 140 AH at 3353 fps
Had to dial back a hot load over 3400 with the 140 AH, so no issues with the load now.

Honestly, both will do what you need. The Hunter line of bullets is more predictable and follows similar weight bullet load data. We are still experimenting with the Absolute line of bullets (although we have a pretty large database now) that require a powder with a faster burn rate. Be careful with the Absolutes and really pay attention to pressure signs because they spike quickly. Shoot with a chrono and you'll know when you're getting close to max.
I load Hammers in 7 different cartridges. Some shoot better with the Hunters compared to the Absolutes. All have devastating performance on game.
Below is a photo from Tuesday with the 140 AH at 200 yards.

Attachments

• 1B784EA7-73F8-4467-8CB5-D9448BB36229.jpeg
    1B784EA7-73F8-4467-8CB5-D9448BB36229.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
I got a regular 280, and the guy above hit it on the nose H4350 seems to be a solid powder for that 140 bullet I concur. Once you get up to 150 and above go with a slower burning powder like H4831 or R23 etc.

Thanks for posting this comment. This is right up my alley, since I'm working with a standard 280 Remington and the Hammer Hunter 143 now. I had planned to start with H4350, after discussing it with the guy who makes the bullets. I had called him about whether or not I could use something heavier, to which he responded that the 143-grain HH is the heaviest bullet that would reliably stabilize in a 1-in-9" twist, and I should expect to get velocities right around 3100 fps. I also asked him if I should stick with what I had learned years ago while working with a bullet in the 7mm Remington Magnum that also had a relieved bearing surface. With that bullet, a slightly faster powder for the bullet weight worked best, and he told me that this also applies with the Hammer bullets. Not a lot faster; just a little. He also mentioned that case-fill makes a difference, and that I might want to try the slower powder I had mentioned to him ( H4831 ) if I don't like what I get with the 4350. Lastly, he recommended magnum primers. He mentioned in an answer to a question I had posted on this forum that these bullets work well with the Lee Factory Crimp, and to crimp in the first groove nearest the nose of the bullet. Any more comments you might have for the 280 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for posting this comment. This is right up my alley, since I'm working with a standard 280 Remington and the Hammer Hunter 143 now. I had planned to start with H4350, after discussing it with the guy who makes the bullets. I had called him about whether or not I could use something heavier, to which he responded that the 143-grain HH is the heaviest bullet that would reliably stabilize in a 1-in-9" twist, and I should expect to get velocities right around 3100 fps. I also asked him if I should stick with what I had learned years ago while working with a bullet in the 7mm Remington Magnum that also had a relieved bearing surface. With that bullet, a slightly faster powder for the bullet weight worked best, and he told me that this also applies with the Hammer bullets. Not a lot faster; just a little. He also mentioned that case-fill makes a difference, and that I might want to try the slower powder I had mentioned to him ( H4831 ) if I don't like what I get with the 4350. Lastly, he recommended magnum primers. He mentioned in an answer to a question I had posted on this forum that these bullets work well with the Lee Factory Crimp, and to crimp in the first groove nearest the nose of the bullet. Any more comments you might have for the 280 would be greatly appreciated.
Hammer bullets really like more neck tension, that's why the Lee FCD works really well with them. Read ButterBean's thread on why he crimps and uses the FCD.
We are finding that magnum primers don't always need to be used, especially when you get into some of the smaller cartridges. I recently compared the BR2's to my 215M loads in the 280AI with the 140 Absolute. Velocities were virtually the same and both equally accurate. I switched mainly due to the fact that I have a ton of BR2 and I'm getting low on 215M that I use in a lot of cartridges. Some have found that the standard large rifle primers have better ES/SD and don't pressure out as quickly as the magnum primers do.

I run them both in my 1:9 twist 280 AI
RL23 with the 143 HH at 3250 fps
HV100 with the 140 AH at 3353 fps
Had to dial back a hot load over 3400 with the 140 AH, so no issues with the load now.

Honestly, both will do what you need. The Hunter line of bullets is more predictable and follows similar weight bullet load data. We are still experimenting with the Absolute line of bullets (although we have a pretty large database now) that require a powder with a faster burn rate. Be careful with the Absolutes and really pay attention to pressure signs because they spike quickly. Shoot with a chrono and you'll know when you're getting close to max.
I load Hammers in 7 different cartridges. Some shoot better with the Hunters compared to the Absolutes. All have devastating performance on game.
Below is a photo from Tuesday with the 140 AH at 200 yards.
This will be my 2nd cartridge for Hammer bullets. My sons and I will be using the 70gr HH (picture from Saturday) when it's doe/spike time out of my 22 creedmoor.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 123