Which Hammer bullet??? 338 RUM

cooperjd

With the delays of getting a mcmillan stock right now, I may not get to hunt with my custom this fall...So I am going to dust off the 338RUM for my elk hunt.

I have a few boxes of 250gr accubonds on hand to start playing with and nosler brass.

I've been looking at some of Hammer's offerings, namely the 235gr or 246gr Hammer Hunters. I can't find a ton of info on these out there.

Has anyone loaded for these? Taken game with them? Any tips on where to start with the hammers?

factory rem700 1:10", 26" tube.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you

Either of those would work well.

The 213 is also a good choice.

Generally letting go of a bit of bullet weight is the way to go with Hammer's

The Nosler data is always a good start point

The 250 Accubonds are also a good choice since you have them.

I had ran the 236 HH out of my .338 RUM. I was loading it rather slow with 8133 at 2950. I believe Varmint Hunter is right on with powder choice, need to try it in mine. My load just shot so well out to 800 that I didn't mess with it. Killed a large cow a couple seasons back and was very happy with terminal performance. At a little under 100 yards it penetrated on a hard angle shot that started in front of rear leg and exited opposite side at neck-shoulder junction. When I opened up the chest it was like chunky large can(s) of tomato soup.

I do not have very much RL26; but i have a good amount of H1000, will i be able to get enough of that in the case to make it run?
96.0gr H1000 got me 3,035 ft/sec and a SD of 7. I load this bullet .090 off the rifling. I was shooting just over 2.5" @ 400yds with this load.

97.0gr got an additional 30ft/sec but my group started to open. There were no indications of excess pressure.

I run the 260 (it's actually 262 grains) hammer with n570 @3K fps in an edge. half moa accuracy. Would hunt anything on this earth with it. 26" barrel- 9.3 twist.

Call Steve @ Hammer Bullets. He's a wealth of knowledge and he'll point you in the right direction.

Just to follow up. I asked Steve if he likes the 235 or 236gr HH. He said the 235 would be a bit slicker and open easier at lower velocities so he recommended that one on top of rl-23. I don't have 23 or anything within 5 powders up or down on the burn rate chart. I have imr-4955, h4831; or h1000 on the slow side. I will start with h1000 as noted above and see what I can do. I will report back in a few weeks

I screwed up at the loading bench and ever so slightly bulged my case shoulders with the hammers...so didnt get to test them. i got the 250gr accubonds up to 3,020 with H-1000, but with a shiny ejector mark. I'll drop down a couple grains and keep that one around 2950. I will get out with the hammers eventually when i'm not being a dumddumb on the bench.

I shoot the 260 gr with H1000. The guy that owns hammer said it wasn't an ideal powder but I'm getting some sick results. I'm at the final stage of development, but it will be a while before I finish, just had back surgery. easy sub half MOA with each charge below. Running them .010 OTL, 3.019BTO, .002 neck tension, 215M seated .004. SD are single digits. RBros built the rifle and it hammers with everything except 270 eldm's. My son will most likely kill something with this thing again this year, we shall see.

89.2 gr 2940fps
90.6 gr 3009fps.

Just food for thought, I run the 213 gr Hammer Hunter in my 338 Lapua at 3250 fps with RL26. Excellent accuracy and devastating on game. The mountain goat in my avatar was on the receiving end of this exact load