which gun would you get ??

szabo

i would like to buy a new gun for coyotes and praire dogs. maybe an ar-10 in .243 or rem. 700 in 22-50. i like the semi-auto for the quick shots but im not sure if there will an accuracy issue with the ar-10. does anyone out there shoot either of these guns and what do you think.

I shoot a 22-250 and to me, I think a 1-8 twist AR in 223 is better. an 8 twist will make the 223 a viable 1K pdog rifle.
JS

I had an AR-10T in 308 and it was very accurate a consistant 3/4moa gun out to 500yds with factory ammo , I have seen several AR-10 that were rebarreled to 243 and 260 that shot great sub 1/2moa out to 800yds. But before I would drop $1200 on a AR I'd get a good bolt gun.

A .243 is a lotta gun for PD... they don't take much killin', and the .243 barrel will die in one day over a good dog town.

The .223 is all the gun you need, and will dump PDs at one hellova distance... last time I was in SoDak, I was taking PDs at up to 850 yds with a 40-XBBR in .222 mag. 14"twist, and 50 gr Sierra Blitz SP bullets.

My shooting partner was doing even better (he is a better shooter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

Plus you can see your hits with a .223 class rifle, with a .243, you see nothing!

You can build an AR-15 chambered in 243 WSSM. I have a 223 with a custom barrel that shoots in the low .2's.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus you can see your hits with a .223 class rifle, with a .243, you see nothing!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you pull your head away from the scope fast enough,you can see the pieces falling back to earth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

if you are interested, i just placed my Krieger barreled ar15 upper on the auction block. i took it out once for prairie dogs and a 20 round magazine is a hoot compared to a bolt gun. follow up shots on kin are a snap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif to complete the rifle, all you would need is a lower, bolt group and a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.