Which Garmin to buy?

I don't know exactly what you are wanting but I have a new Garmin Rino 530 HCx that I would lay on you cheap. They are $499 at Bass Pro and various other price options down to around $379 that I have found. I would let you have mine for $275 or would entertain offers.

Thanks for the offer, but I finally ended up just very recently buying a Garmin 60CSx. Decided that for my needs, it just wasn't worth the extra money to get the 62s when the 60CSx can be had for about $200, and both new buyers and others still give great reviews about it. Plus, I just really liked the solid feel of the 60CSx as compared to the 62s. Now I just need to play with it and learn how to use it. Thanks everyone for the input.

There are a number of us here in Kodiak Alaska that went from the Oregon to the Colorado 400T. The Oregon had a low light problem of not being unable to see in bright sun.

I really like the fact that I can change the SD card so I have nautical charts on the water for boating all summer and topo map card for interior moose hunt after fishing season.

Though I have not used my ELT products- Those emergency locator transmitter features are invaluable when lost or injured. I highly recommend them in any configuration.

Neal

Can you load the public land maps on the 62 & 78 series GPS or just the Oregon series?

You can load the PLAT4GPS or BLM4GPS maps on ANY GARMIN GPS. If you want to purchase the pre-loaded SD card then just make sure you get the 62s or 78s. Or just make sure they accept a microSD card.

I just bought the Garmen Oregon 450 with backroads B.C. Canada SD card. I could not be happier. The unit is awesome. It even aquires a strong signal in the house, I wonder how they managed that? As for accuracy, it is beyond anything you could want. Was out in the backyard standing on the lake shore at the water line and the GPS put my right there. It is also super easy to read on the ATV in all kinds of light, is fast on the uptake and it is very good on batteries. I guarantee you will not be dissappointed with this unit. IT IS AWESOME

It is a little bit of a PITA, but you can load free topo maps on almost any of the new Garmins. You have to use the Garmin software and then load an image file and sync. BTW, the box for the Garmin 60 CSX still says it only has a 64 MB card on the box, it actually has a 1 GB card if you open it up and look at it. I just loaded map data for an Alaska fishing trip on my GPS for free and it has 7.5 minute topo maps.

PM me if you want to know the gory details of how to get the free maps on there.

No question it is the 62st, I love the birds eye feature. It is so nice to be able to get a over head interface with the topo map displayed in your hand. Also using the basecamp program from Garmin is a real plus. I down load all my tracks and stands to it and have a google earth style map to view on both my lap top and GPS. The touch screen interface GPS's are not as user friendly as the 62 style. Also the 62's have larger screen than the new E Trex. I am not sure that the 62ts is worth the cost compaired to the 62s when using the birds eye feature for some but I spent the money to get it.

I've been enjoying my Garmin GPSMAP 62s. Didn't care about the birds-eye view, but I'm sure it's cool.

I use the garmin oregon and I really love it.
I use it more to track where I have been and what I saw than how to get somewhere.
I keep track of all the routes I take and all the game I see. then I use my map software and google earth to plan out where to scout next I then use the gps to guide me there. I also use the map software avaible here that show land owership ect
retiredcpo

I'm on a Search and Rescue Team so my GPS sees a lot of use.
I carried a 60CSX for about 2 years and found it to be adequate.

Last year I upgraded to the 62S. The added features that this model provides over the 60CSX are well worth it. Battery life isn't great but I use rechargeables. I always make sure I have a fresh set with me especially in the cold.

I don't use the Birds-eye feature but it is certainly a nice perk if you are into that sort of thing. I have downloaded custom maps and find it easy to overlay park trail maps onto my topos.

Overall I'd definitely go with the 62 over the 60. I have done a bit of Geocaching with both and the 62 is much more accurate. Makes finding stuff in the woods a pleasure.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.