Which Factory 280AI Rifle?

Savage has 22" barrel on theirs, others have 24-26" barrels. With heavier bullets and slower powders I would think gravitate to the longer barrel of you have a choice. 24" xbolt hells canyon speed is under 7 pounds, or the western hunter is 2oz lighter than that. Kimber hunter is about the cheapest and most compact so that would be my choice, or the wby Backcountry (not ti) at the other end of scale. Gonna be hard to find any of them though...

I have three Kimber's. Two are Montana's and a Mountain Ascent. I've been able to work up very solid loads for each caliber. All shoot under .5. The 280ai in the Montana is my favorite of the bunch. The only thing that I had to do to them was to make sure the barrel was free floated well and that the mag box was able to move around a bit when the action screws are snug. Good luck.. whatever you decide.

From a value standpoint, I would vote for the Savage Ultralite. The 22" barrel does lose some speed. I am getting 2810 fps with a 160 gr accubond and 61.2gr of H4831. Consistently .5 - .6" 100 yard groups.

if you are thinking 26" barrel, I would consider the Christensen Ridgeline or traverse.

Those are the only that I have experience with that I could recommend personally.

Has anybody tried the Nosler M48 in 280 Improved? Good or bad reviews?
While I've never owned a Nosler rifle and only have had a Cooper ML, I would get a Cooper before I got a Nosler, or probably before any other factory rifle if custom was not an option.

Dallas Lane is literally working on my 280AI and it should be ready shortly…to say I am excited is an understatement. Good luck with whatever you decide.

From a value standpoint, I would vote for the Savage Ultralite. The 22" barrel does lose some speed. I am getting 2810 fps with a 160 gr accubond and 61.2gr of H4831. Consistently .5 - .6" 100 yard groups.

if you are thinking 26" barrel, I would consider the Christensen Ridgeline or traverse.

Those are the only that I have experience with that I could recommend personally.
Give RL23 a try with that bullet. I have a 24 inch barrel on a Savage action shooting 162s around 3075. I could go faster but found a nice node.

pro tip: start gathering components yesterday. I'd backorder some Peterson brass from Grafs.com. Peterson told me they're doing a run of 280AI brass August/September time-frame. I've had some on backorder for months now. It isn't produced often.
Thanks. Now quit talking about it!

Has anybody tried the Nosler M48 in 280 Improved? Good or bad reviews?
I sold a new Nosler 48, 280 Ackley, owner said it shot great but empty brass would stick in chamber for about 8-10 seconds before releasing. I sent it back to Nosler and they are replacing the barrel. Customer Service very good to deal with.

Recent Posts