Which factory 22-250 rifle to get?

newbiggame27

Hello all,
I have been looking at getting a 22-250 rem for a while now and thought I would get some input from the experts... I am not yet into reloading so a factory rifle and factory ammo is most likely. The two I have been looking at are the savage model 12 btcss, and the savage 12 lrp. I know it doesn't say they make it in 22-250 but the people at savage are quite accommodating. Any input you might have would be appreciated.

Ps: I would be using the rifle with a bipod or on a rest so weight or length is no issue. As such, prairie dogs and coyote would be the major targets. Anything I left out please just ask.
And the name's Mark.

I'd personally buy a cheaper Savage, then put on the better accuracy parts myself. A smith can put one a prefit/better barrel for real cheap, and the upgrade your stock. You'd still be way ahead money wise versus the stock stuff. if you want to go that route I've got a new 25" threaded bull barrel I'd make you a deal on.

Not looking to own a suppressor, but thank you for the offer. Also 26" is where I'm looking to stay. Do you really think the upgrades to a basic rifle would be cheaper and better?

I'd suggest that you take a look at the savage model 12 varmint low profile. They show on their website that they chamber it in 22-250 in two different twist rates, 1-9" and 1-12", definitely go for the 1-9" #18468. There should be no need to upgrade anything on this rifle, the stock is very good as is and with the 1-9" twist barrel you can shoot up to 69 grain bullets, maybe even the 75's which will really extend the range. I have it's close cousin the BVSS and the stock ergonomics are very nice for shooting off a bench in the prairie dog fields. Mine came with a 1-12" barrel and when I wore it out I switched it to a 1-9" criterion. The faster twist shoots lighter bullets just as well as before, plus now I can shoot the higher B.C. heavies too. The faster twist gives a noticeably more explosive effect on prairie dogs than the slower twist barrel. The only thing that you should need to do to this rifle is adjust the trigger to a lighter weight and possibly bed it. I bedded mine and it gave an improvement.

The BTCSS is a thumbhole stock which I find awkward plus it's a 1-12" twist. The LRP isn't chambered in 22-250 and while they might make you one, you'll have to special order it and wait plus the LRP's aren't stainless which I'd demand. The LRP's barrel profile is also heavier than the savage varmint profiles. The varmint profiles are plenty heavy to shoot great without being overkill. They're not so heavy as to be almost unusable in the field. If it were me doing the choosing I would pick the 12 varmint low profile 1-9" twist.

I'd suggest that you take a look at the savage model 12 varmint low profile. They show on their website that they chamber it in 22-250 in two different twist rates, 1-9" and 1-12", definitely go for the 1-9" #18468. There should be no need to upgrade anything on this rifle, the stock is very good as is and with the 1-9" twist barrel you can shoot up to 69 grain bullets, maybe even the 75's which will really extend the range. I have it's close cousin the BVSS and the stock ergonomics are very nice for shooting off a bench in the prairie dog fields. Mine came with a 1-12" barrel and when I wore it out I switched it to a 1-9" criterion. The faster twist shoots lighter bullets just as well as before, plus now I can shoot the higher B.C. heavies too. The faster twist gives a noticeably more explosive effect on prairie dogs than the slower twist barrel. The only thing that you should need to do to this rifle is adjust the trigger to a lighter weight and possibly bed it. I bedded mine and it gave an improvement.

The BTCSS is a thumbhole stock which I find awkward plus it's a 1-12" twist. The LRP isn't chambered in 22-250 and while they might make you one, you'll have to special order it and wait plus the LRP's aren't stainless which I'd demand. The LRP's barrel profile is also heavier than the savage varmint profiles. The varmint profiles are plenty heavy to shoot great without being overkill. They're not so heavy as to be almost unusable in the field. If it were me doing the choosing I would pick the 12 varmint low profile 1-9" twist.

I am new to this caliber so excuse me for not knowing, but is there much factory ammo I would need the faster twist rate for? If so please give a few examples. I have looked for some but not in depth.

There's not much with heavier bullets in factory offerings, but the 1-9" twist will shoot the lighter stuff just as well as the 1-12" so there's no downside to it. Longer, higher B.C. bullets are the trend for the future so it's a matter of time before ammo makers start catering to that market.

Also, if you shoot this rifle much you will want to start handloading. You'll find it gets real expensive real quick to feed anything other than a .223 or .308 factory ammo and what you load yourself is higher quality than what you'll get from a factory. If accuracy and performance are your goals, which is usually the case for someone on a forum named long range hunting, then you'll need to handload. When you do start handloading the natural inclination is to start experimenting with bullets to see which give the best performance. From experience I can tell you it's frustrating to see a bullet you'd like to try only to run it through a twist rate calculator and find it won't stabilize in your rifle.

Make it easy on yourself and get the faster twist. There's no downside to it and one day you'll be glad you did.

My 22-250 is a ruger American. Shoots sub Mia at 100 yards like that. With a Vortex Crossfire II in 4-12x40. That's is $199.99 msrp. The MSRP for the ruger is $389.99. That's well under your budget. I put a boyds thumbhole stock on it and a Harris bipod. 800 dollars for the whole setup, (rifle and scope included) so then you have another 200 you could buy a barrel for but factory barrel is 1-9in twist so it works fine for 40 - 69 grain bullets. I recently shot a groundhog at 670 yards with this combo. Bullets however are about $20 for 20 bullets. So I reload with 62 grain Sierra match kings. Sorry I. Ant help ha out there.

morning, all said and done, i have a SPS remington in 223 and 22-250. fits well, shoots well. i shoot the TTSX 53gr. barnes. 26.5gr Tac, winchester brass, Fed. 205m. the only draw back is the trigger. I set the trigger according to factory spec. works great. some people like a lighter trigger. this is for varmit shooting not match. the trigger pull is 3lbs. price was $600-700. extremely accurate rifle. twist is 14-16. check the specs. online. I shoot the same bullet in both rifles. both rifles will constantly shoot. .500

Thank u
Just Country

Life member NRA and TSRA

Last edited:
I've got a .22-250 BVSS, a R700 .22-250, and another Savage .22-250. The R700 can produce groups of 0.112 @ 120 yards. The BVSS is producing similar results, and I expect even better groupings after I finalize a load for it. I haven't shot the third one much yet.

The BVSS is solid and I would have zero reservations about recommending you to purchase one. The 700 is also a solid gun.

I have a a Remington. 700 .22-250 that shoots fine. However, I'm wanting a faster twist to shoot the heavier/longer bullets accurately. Had settled on the Savage 1-9 Savage VLP as recommended above; but am also looking at the new Browning X-Bolt Predator (9 twist also.)
One example of factory loaded higher-BC ammo (53 gr. V-Max) is the Hornady Superformance. The Hunting Shack should offer a mix of .22-250s, too.

I have a TC Venture Predator in the 22-250. It has the 5R rifling, and is wicked accurate with factory Hornady rounds...another consideration in the $500 range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.