Which dies produce the least runout?

mikea5232

The forster ones I'm currently using are far less than stellar. Some bullets have almost none most others than .005+. So I'm wondering what you all use or i guess if you have any tips to get these to produce straighter ammo. Thanks!

I routinely load six different cartridgs and typically achieve less then .002" of runout with an average of .001". All are loaded using Redding S, bushing dyes and the Redding competition seater. About half use an expander, half without.

Last edited:
Have you tried to use the die with the expander removed to see if that made a difference? I have a few forster BR dies and I removed all the guts and just use it to FL size. When I am done I run a mandrel in the necks to set my neck tension. Once I started this process I can maintain low single digit SDs ( 1 or 2 ) and run out has pretty much vanished.

i got it figured out, i adjusted the expander ball and when seating the bullet i turned it 90 degrees 4 times per bullet and the runout is less than .001. i never had to do that with my redding comp dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.