Which Dies for Reloading a 300 RUM

Hi all,

I am not new here just a long time lurker.

I just picked up a 300 RUM and need to start reloading for it. I have been reloading my .270 Win, .220 Swift and .223/5.56 for quite a few years and always used RCBS dies.

If you were to buy new dies for a .300 RUM which ones would you get? Brand, Full length sizing die, or Neck sizing die?

I have the RCBS Competition Seating Die with caliper and really like that feature, so what's your favorite brand and model?

Thanks,
FF

I use the forster ultra, for 300 rum. I like the forster better than the standard rcbs dies I'm using on other calibers...

I'm ordering redding type S dies for my next rifle (260rem), we'll see how they are.

The Redding Type S FL Bushing die and Comp Seater. I have the Type S Neck Bushing die and body die, but if I ahd to do it again I would go with the FL because I boddy size after each firing, for consistancy, and they need it.

Using bushing dies means turning necks.

Mark

The Redding Type S FL Bushing die and Comp Seater.

Using bushing dies means turning necks.

Mark

+1 on the Redding Type S FL and Comp Seater. I just ordered a set a few days ago for this caliber after reading some great reviews on them. I have been using one of their Competition Seaters for a few years and it's an awesome seating die. This will be my first Type S FL die so looking forward to trying that out as well. I haven't heard that you have to turn necks though. Is that really the case???

The reddings are the best and I own them but they are very proud of them. Lately I have been going with Forester with the ultra comp seating die which is just like the redding and half the price.

The reddings are the best and I own them but they are very proud of them. Lately I have been going with Forester with the ultra comp seating die which is just like the redding and half the price.

Yeah, I use the Forster for my 308 and they're good dies. I did notice that their competition seater doesn't have the same precision of adjustment. If you need to seat a bullet .007 deeper, with the Redding you turn the mic .007 and it's spot on. With the Forster, it usually takes two or three adjustments to get it right. It's definately not as precise. Just my opinion.

With the bushing dies, any irregularities in neck thickness is pushed inward. That's why you need to turn them, for a consistant thickness and contact with the bullet's bearing surface.

I am leaning toward the Redding Type S Match Full Length Die Set. I am just trying to figure out how to measure for the bushing. I don't have any fired brass yet, only a box of new ammo that I bought to compare my hand loads to.

Also what brand and model do you recommend for neck turning? I have not done this on any other calibers but really want to get started on the right foot with the RUM.

Thanks for the help

FF

To measure for bushings you want measure a turned neck with a bullet seated in it. Take that measurement and subtract form .001 to .004 and order that bushing. i.e., my necks are about .3345 with bullet seated. My bushing is .333 So I have a neck tension of .0015 You want a neck tension of probably .001 to .004 Some will recommend .002 - .004 for hunting rounds so they dont move in the magazine under recoil. Measuring turned necks with a bullet in it might be tough if you dont have the die set already. I used a 300 WSM seater to seat the bullets for my 300 RUM.

There are a few ways to turn necks. I use an RCBS Trim Pro. Here's a recent thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/rcbs-power-trim-pro-46804/index2.html

I just got off the phone with Patrick at Redding. He said the FL Bushing die will come with a button expander and that with its use, you will not need to turn necks. It will center the case from the inside out. Apparently, with this die you have the option to not use the button and then turn necks, or go with it and not have to turn. I've never used them, but does this sound right?

I just got off the phone with Patrick at Redding. He said the FL Bushing die will come with a button expander and that with its use, you will not need to turn necks. It will center the case from the inside out. Apparently, with this die you have the option to not use the button and then turn necks, or go with it and not have to turn. I've never used them, but does this sound right?

The Redding FL (and Neck) Bushing die does come with an expander button to size from the inside. However if you want to do that kind of sizing, you should just get the standard FL die as it costs $20 less. And there isn't much sense bushing sizing if you dont turn the necks. The bushing die will theorhetically give you more concentric necks and allow you to set your tension. But with the standard FL (or neck) die, you can get a floating expander button for around $20 and replace the rigid button which gives a more concentric neck. If you get the floating button, it's good to get a rubber "o" ring and put it on the spindle just below the button. This will allow the button a little more movement/selfadjustment as it is pulled up through the neck for a more concentric sized neck. The rigid die may drag to one side or the other as it is being pulled up through the neck. Also a good idea to bacl off the die a little, to leave a small donut around the botom of the neck to align it with the neck chamber and throat. You can do this with either type of die, but you have more flexability with the bushing die.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.