Which Dies for LRH

CRaTxn

I have my Lapua 6.5x284 brass, Berger 140 gr Hunting VLDs , NECO concentricity guage, Stoney Points COAL & Comparator tools BUT I can't figure which dies to buy for my new Forster CoAx Press???I am not going to neck turn brass.(A) The Forster Precision Plus Bushing Bump Neck Sizing kit with three bushings & Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater look to be great ; (B) Reddings Type S FL bushing Sizer and Competition Seater are highly touted but I am unclear if they really are designed to simply bump my Lapua brass' shoulder the .0015-.0020 I desire and possibly I should get a Body sizing die for this set. (C) RCBS has Gold Medal Competition FL bushing neck-sizing dies that can bump the shoulder and a wonderful Seater with a window to drop the bullet in for perfect alignment. My old dies are 35 years old and probably not up to the tolerances of the upgrades I am looking at. Lots of homework but not one local that reloads to LRH standards so I can pick their brain or watch the different dies in action. Am I missing anything ?

I haven't used Forster's bushing bump dies, but I like Forster's other dies. In my opinion, it's worth it to spend a few extra bucks on the micrometer for their bullet seating die. If you're adjusting your seater and want to bring cartridge length down another 4-thousandths, you just dial it down that much.

Haven't used Redding's Type S dies, but I would expect the full length type S sizer could be adjusted to bump the shoulder in addition to sizing the case.

Afraid I haven't used any neck bushing dies; but, of the dies I've used, I like Forster, Redding and Hornady better than RCBS. I guess it comes down to ease of use. Don't like the adjustments on the RCBS dies as well as Redding and Forster (don't have any of the newer Hornady dies).

"RCBS has Gold Medal Competition FL bushing neck-sizing dies that can bump the shoulder and a wonderful Seater with a window to drop the bullet in for perfect alignment."

I strongly question that.

Unless you go for hand dies, the Forster/Redding twins are as good as it gets.

Micrometer stems don't do a thing for accuracy but they do make changing the OAL a bit easier.

Thanks gentlemen: I have gone to the Search function under Reloading and reviewed some great posts : (kraky2's fine tuning dies/dlebeck's Lee Collet neck sizing attributes/HiredGun's comments comparing Lee vs Redding/abinok's info on the collet's ability to tell you when brass needs annealing & no moving parts to wear+dissimilar metal properties/even CentrePunch's eval of engineering vs QC issues/Jimm's platunum quotes on Lee collet dies & no lube+no turn/Mysticplayer's grounding comments on no doughnuts but poor QC/woods' PFLR tech) ... on dies BUT they were all from the 2005 & 2006 time frame. Things change so quickly.
Mr. Moderator: How do I contact all these gentlemen with PMs or whatever blogism tool to mine their gold experience enhanced during these past 5 years??

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.