Which dies for a 6.5 Creedmoor?

giannid

Seems like everyone makes dies for the 6.5 creedmoor and I'm not sure which ones to get. Hornady makes a set of match dies for if for $75 or so and you can add the micrometer stem for another $30. I've had good luck with hornady dies on other ammunition that I've reloaded but never really shot it out to long ranges like I'm planning with my new creedmoor build. Is it really worth spending extra money on the redding or other high end dies? What do you guys recommend? I'm not going to be shooting in any competitions or anything like that but would like to have the ability to plink at long distances. I'll be reloading on a forster co ax with hornady brass, berger vld hunting 140 grain, with h4350 powder and federal 250m primers. Also what size bushing seems to be working best? Seems like .288 is the one everyone is leaning towards.

It seems like you are on the right track. I use RCBS dies and for my purposes they work. I may get a set of Hornady dies like you are talking about. I like a micrometer seating stem .
But I need an anneal rite case annealing set up first.
Even with my RCBS dies I can tell some of my cases need proper annealing.

I've had limited experience with Hornady dies & it wasn't very good. Now, I have not used their Competition dies....

I use Whidden dies for my Creed', micrometer adjustable & very repeatable... so far :D

I can't tell you which bushing to use, the necks of your brass may be thicker or thinner than mine & it would be a waste of time. Just measure a loaded round (with your brass & bullet).... much easier that way & there is no guess work.

t

I have use RCBS, Lee and Hornady dies and a set I can't remember the name of right now. To tell you the truth I really can't tell you which produces more accurate ammo, all do a good job.

Right now I'm using Lee dies for handgun ammo and RCBS dies for rifle ammo but I did just order Hornady full length sizing dies for the 9mm and 45 Auto. They were on sale and I'm told they are extremely smooth to use. We will see when they get here. (only $21 each on clearance)

Hornady dies are the only dies I've used that were unsatisfactory. I've had a couple of sets now and they were all poorly polished. The Hornady micrometer I had was absolute garbage. Adjustments were inconsistent. I've used all the other major die brands and they all worked fine. I really like Forster dies but I've just bought my first set of Whiddon dies for my 6.5 rsaum and as soon as I get the brass I need I'll be able to comment more. Fit and finish is second to none so I think I'll be happy with the results. For plain dies it's hard to beat Lee dies for value and performance. I don't think you get anything more until you get into Forster and then Redding comp. The Whiddon dies my be even better but I'll have to test mine to know for sure. BTW , Whiddon has a lot more dies available than is listed on his site so call if you don't see what you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.