Which Crtrdg- Short barrel do everything hunting rifle?

Another bit of info. Maybe you already know it. Dave Kiff has what he calls a bore rider throat. He will set the first step wherever you want it. Cylinder as you want and then a 1 1/2 degree step to half land height for a 1/2 inch and then another 1 1/2 degree step to full land engagement. Very accurate and jump tolerant and pick up 100 to 150 fps. Think of it as a long controlled freebore.

162D0BBE-B105-4FBE-A46B-259FE042DE8B.jpeg
The main thing I have against the RCM is Hornady brass. Bad experience with it in a 35 whelen. Out of spec, fail to fire, very soft, and this pic with a case head separation! Was shooting a 275gr Woodleigh in the whelen when it happened. I prefer not to use Hornady brass.....

How has reloading for the 300 WSM been a pain? All WSMs are super easy to load. Watch that video I posted earlier and tell me that is hard.

Supply choices are Endless. Call Kevin at Black Hills. Last I checked they had over 1200(250 Count) bags of Winchester 325 WSM. Grafs is in full stock except for Nosler which we do not touch anyway. We can CNC perfect head stamped brass cheaper than Nosler 325. Bertram I am sure has a couple thousand. That is just the preferred one step die loading brass. We can 2 step 300 WSM in a machine. Or any of clients can with Redding dies. Bet we could find a couple semi's full of that. LOL.

David Emerson, we did once consider the RCM case. So close to running with that until I found an old 458 WSM reamer drawing. We made some tweaks and said let's do all the WSM. Love the RCM case just slightly lower powder capacity. In our notes I can see 2660 FPS with a Nosler Partition staying 5k psi below max pressure and loaded to the max COAL. We have never tested it specifically but can see your 2700. A 225 Accubond going 5k under max pressure should yield close to 2800 FPS with RL17 and your 25" barrel.

Hornady Brass, we have had nothing but problems with it.

Our Ammo is chrono'd using LabRadar and Magneto Speed. 1-4 FPS difference at times. Keep in mind we never go more than 5k psi below max. 60,000 PSI. Keeps our insurance rates manageable :) Powders won't be used unless 98% or more is burned.

We use stock box mags and a few different followers or AccurateMag DBMs. Always feed great on bolt guns. Semi Auto, Larue, Knights, and ACS Mags.

If we load for the TXH-F10 we set the machines(Not compressed loads) for a COAL of 2.840 and 2.900 for bolt guns" That is best for magazine feeding. 225gr Accubond or Maker TREX
2.840" - RL17
18" - 2625 FPS
20" - 2685 FPS
2.900" - RL17
18" - 2660 FPS
20" - 2710 FPS

Our favorite load is the 230gr ELDX. COAL 2.915. Bolt Gun only. Custom which we have a tech or even myself do a compressed load
18" - 2650 FPS
20" - 2725 FPS
24" - 2830 FPS

250gr WoodLeigh Power Points or Nosler Partition, Bolt Gun, 20" Barrel, 2600 FPS

Now looking at the 338 SS. On their website, they say can push a 250gr Berger EOL at 2800 FPS. No mention of barrel length. <EDIT, they use a 26". Their COAL is super long. 2.970! Even if we went to 2.930, my basic calculations with the same powder charge yields shows us being 100 FPS shy. All of their COAL are super long. It could be all true and the 338 SS can slightly outperform our WSM.

Both the SS and our WSM could technically be talking out of the other sides of our mouths. By most books, a short action shouldn't be more than 2.9 COAL.

We focus and build short barreled guns all the time to accommodate a suppressor. Overall lengths are 42-45". Same as a 24" common barreled rifle.

I obviously think our stuff is awesome but respect the insanely hard work of Sherman. We are smaller and newer. We work very hard to be the best. I am sure their are more campers in the Sherman tent. Am I going to try and sway them to sell their's and buy ours. Never. For those looking for something new, do your reading, make the choice that you think is best.

The brass supply has been the biggest problem with the 300wsm. Sorry if that wasnt clear. Reloading the cartridge has been fine. But I'm aware of only Norma, Nosler, Federal, Winchester and Bertram making brass for the 300wsm. Consistancy and toughness are the major deciding factors in brass for me. The older Winchester sounds like it was awesome. The new stuff is unpredictable. Federal, Hornady is garbage from what I've heard. Nosler and Bertram have been inconsistent from speaking to people. I've only seen small lots of both brass, and havent yet had time to form an opinion, but I'm not convinced it's amazing brass yet. Which I'm disappointed by as I expected Bertram to be better. That leaves Norma, and I hear good things but keep finding small lots of it and would prefer to buy in larger quantity.

I've spoken to alot of people and stores about brass supply for the WSM and no one has given me the warm fuzzy feeling about it. Which is a shame.

A good all-rounder is a long action, can be loaded with 230 grain monolithics for an easy 2900fps, or take it to 350 grains for anything that walks, from a 20" barrel. The world is full of brass for it.

With a good brake, the recoil is not intimidating.

.375 H&H

This is a little out of the box but the Remington 7600 carbine in 3006 or 35 Whelen is a made to order work rifle . The overall length is great for packing or slung over the shoulder. Walking in heavy cover the barrel does not stick out over your head to catch the branches . The rifle is surprising accurate everyone my sons and I own shoot under moa . The best thing about the 7600 is its fast second and third shots in case you need to have follow up shots in heavy cover or god forbid a charge. Clip fed and durable it's a better better option than you may think for Alaska.

The brass supply has been the biggest problem with the 300wsm. Sorry if that wasnt clear. Reloading the cartridge has been fine. But I'm aware of only Norma, Nosler, Federal, Winchester and Bertram making brass for the 300wsm. Consistancy and toughness are the major deciding factors in brass for me. The older Winchester sounds like it was awesome. The new stuff is unpredictable. Federal, Hornady is garbage from what I've heard. Nosler and Bertram have been inconsistent from speaking to people. I've only seen small lots of both brass, and havent yet had time to form an opinion, but I'm not convinced it's amazing brass yet. Which I'm disappointed by as I expected Bertram to be better. That leaves Norma, and I hear good things but keep finding small lots of it and would prefer to buy in larger quantity.

I've spoken to alot of people and stores about brass supply for the WSM and no one has given me the warm fuzzy feeling about it. Which is a shame.
The only Bertram brass I have used is the 375 rum but I was happy with it.

I know this is a tall order, but give me your best thoughts for a magical cartridge the can do it all-

I want to build a hunting rifle on a Manners mcs-cs1 stock that will be packable.

I live in Alaska so Deer, sheep, bear, moose etc. out to 600 yds accurately

I have teenage kids/wife that would use it too (adjustable LOP stock very handy)

Recoil manageable- will most likely add a break

Barrel - CarbonSix with Remage nut, 18-20" - break dependent, possible can in future

Action- Rem 700, prefer Short (limited by mag space to 2.8 COL) unless Long is clearly better.

Bolt- standard or mag?

*edited- I reload so option for different bullets in same cartridge
*edited-I own many other rifles including a full custom 7 SAUM, 300 wsm, 35 whelen, ultra light 308 etc

I have a friend that has built several accurate rifles with the Remage nut so I plan to learn from him thus I am limited to factory parts- no extended box in a short, no lathe work, etc. Now if there isn't a perfect cartridge, the Remage nut would allow a easy barrel swap..... so maybe suggest your best single cartridge for one barrel, then if you think two barrels would be better, which two that share the same bolt face?

If size and length is important, Personally I would suggest the Stainless Model 7 action for it's ease to keep clean and the mag length is the same as the short action mod 700. Overall length Is 1/2" shorter than the 700 SA.

A #3 or #4 contour in a Stainless will weigh almost the same as the carbon and in my opinion be easier to maintain and be more durable. I would also place a low power, light weight scope on it to save weight. Mine weighs just over 6 Lbs fully dressed. Just a suggestion for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM

View attachment 167948 The main thing I have against the RCM is Hornady brass. Bad experience with it in a 35 whelen. Out of spec, fail to fire, very soft, and this pic with a case head separation! Was shooting a 275gr Woodleigh in the whelen when it happened. I prefer not to use Hornady brass.....
Thanks for your reply and the picture. The head separation is caused by over sizing . Setting the shoulder back too much when you resize. But it usually takes several times. When working with brass that has been shot and loaded several times I take a paper clip and make a short 90 degree hook on the end. run it down inside and you can feel the ring where it is stretching. When I feel that it is garbage time. Akso the whelen doesn,t have much shoulder so it would be susceptible to this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.