Which Crtrdg- Short barrel do everything hunting rifle?

If I go 338 short mag- either SS or RCM, that would be a short action mag bolt- what other smaller cartridge could go with a mag bolt for a switch barrel?

The 243WSSM? Will the 6.5 PRC fit in a short action and standard mag box? Other options?

Last edited:
If I go 338 short mag- either SS or RCM, that would be a short action mag bolt- what other smaller cartridge could go with a mag bolt for a switch barrel?

The 243WSSM? Will the 6.5 PRC fit in a short action and standard mag box? Other options?

6.5 SS. Don't have a 6.5 in your collection. Or one of the SST's. They're designed to get the most out of short action.

6.5 SS. Don't have a 6.5 in your collection. Or one of the SST's. They're designed to get the most out of short action.

You're right, I don't have a 6.5 yet. Will look at the SST line *just did- that 6 SST looks great!....

I do have smaller- 6 cm, .243 win, 22-250, 30/30, another 308 win but some are left hand for my older kids, and will eventually go with them. My youngest is rt handed like me and will need some rifles soon! reason enough to increase the quiver

Last edited:
Does the Sherman shorts feed well in a Rem 700? I would guess so since it's based off a SAUM and that goes well. I ask because my WSM isn't smooth in the 700 SA it's in. Might be the follower?

I noticed there is one combo that has not been mentioned- the 35 Rem Mag and the 6.5 Rem Mag. Looks like they were the original short mags. It's a belted case design. I wonder how available brass is. Anyone have experience with these?

I can tell you the little nasty mohawk 600 Remington in 350 mag will kick some but. My but. At this point in my life with all the back and neck surgeries I can't shoot one anymore for fear of the recoil snapping me in half. Then again if you could kill everything with a triple deuce I would.
Shep

I built a 338ss and 6.5ss switch barrel as they both work on the same action length/ bolt diameter. I built the gun on a medium length Lone Peak action for the extra room.

If you are reloading, the PRC benefits from more length then a standard short action.

The 338ss and 338max also benefit from more length then the standard short action can provide. I believe the Max requires it, unless you are handloadinb short bullets.

I know this is a tall order, but give me your best thoughts for a magical cartridge the can do it all-

I want to build a hunting rifle on a Manners mcs-cs1 stock that will be packable.

I live in Alaska so Deer, sheep, bear, moose etc. out to 600 yds accurately

I have teenage kids/wife that would use it too (adjustable LOP stock very handy)

Recoil manageable- will most likely add a break

Barrel - CarbonSix with Remage nut, 18-20" - break dependent, possible can in future

Action- Rem 700, prefer Short (limited by mag space to 2.8 COL) unless Long is clearly better.

Bolt- standard or mag?

*edited- I reload so option for different bullets in same cartridge
*edited-I own many other rifles including a full custom 7 SAUM, 300 wsm, 35 whelen, ultra light 308 etc

I have a friend that has built several accurate rifles with the Remage nut so I plan to learn from him thus I am limited to factory parts- no extended box in a short, no lathe work, etc. Now if there isn't a perfect cartridge, the Remage nut would allow a easy barrel swap..... so maybe suggest your best single cartridge for one barrel, then if you think two barrels would be better, which two that share the same bolt face?
I have a ruger 338 compact mag. 2700 with a 250 comfortably with R17 powder. That is with a 25 inch Mcgown barrel. Not sure how much you would lose with a shorter barrel. 250 for big, 225 for all else. The plain old speer 225BT performs very well at longer range but I would not depend on it for bears up close. Be my choice for what you want to do.

So, who wants to say which is better? 338 SS or 338 WSM? specifically for a 18-20" barrel.

I'll bite. 338ss just for the better brass. I dont know a anything about the 338wsm performance, but reloading for the 300wsm has been a pain in the arse. Unless someone is making 338wsm brass..... The brass supply/choices is painful.

I'll bite. 338ss just for the better brass. I dont know a anything about the 338wsm performance, but reloading for the 300wsm has been a pain in the arse. Unless someone is making 338wsm brass..... The brass supply/choices is painful.
The Sherman is on a short mag? Keep in mind feeding

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts