Which Crtrdg- Short barrel do everything hunting rifle?

wildwilderness

I know this is a tall order, but give me your best thoughts for a magical cartridge the can do it all-

I want to build a hunting rifle on a Manners mcs-cs1 stock that will be packable.

I live in Alaska so Deer, sheep, bear, moose etc. out to 600 yds accurately

I have teenage kids/wife that would use it too (adjustable LOP stock very handy)

Recoil manageable- will most likely add a break

Barrel - CarbonSix with Remage nut, 18-20" - break dependent, possible can in future

Action- Rem 700, prefer Short (limited by mag space to 2.8 COL) unless Long is clearly better.

Bolt- standard or mag?

*edited- I reload so option for different bullets in same cartridge
*edited-I own many other rifles including a full custom 7 SAUM, 300 wsm, 35 whelen, ultra light 308 etc

I have a friend that has built several accurate rifles with the Remage nut so I plan to learn from him thus I am limited to factory parts- no extended box in a short, no lathe work, etc. Now if there isn't a perfect cartridge, the Remage nut would allow a easy barrel swap..... so maybe suggest your best single cartridge for one barrel, then if you think two barrels would be better, which two that share the same bolt face?

Last edited:
Sounds like a .338 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM) would do the trick for the animals on your menu and would give good short barrel performance. It uses a magnum bolt face. As you said, to keep recoil manageable for wife and kids, a muzzle-brake makes sense (even though I personally hate them on a hunting rifle.)

This should be an interesting thread as it is hard to get "bear power" (grizzlies), long distance capability, and manageable recoil in a 'short barrel' rifle.
<Chewing popcorn...waiting to see how this goes...>

Does ammo need to be available in factory loads or hand loads? This can change things considerably, especially being in the great state of Alaska.

Steve

Better yet, buy an Bighorn Origin action (700 footprint) and prechambered barrels with shoulders or nut. You can do either. Simple switch from say 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC to 325 WSM, or 338 ruger with simple tools and headspace guages. Change bolt heads, barrels and go to another caliber. By the time and money you spend on 700, Origins are $825 with interchangable barrels and bolt heads.

I would have to agree with Frog for an all around cartridge/rifle combination to do such a wide variety of task.

It can be loaded down with 180 class bullets for all but the really big stuff and up 200 to 250 grain bullets with lots of knock down energy for bears and moose.

I built mine on a Model 7 Remington To use the shortest action they make and a 22" #4 contoured barrel. This thing will get your attention with the 225's and the 250's and needs a muzzle brake for fast follow up shots if needed. Mine weighs just over 6 pounds.

It will propel a 225 very close to 2700 ft/sec for lots of energy, and for the other uses the 160 grain velocity will exceed 3100 ft/sec and the 180 will shoot just above 3000.

J E CUSTOM

I know this is a tall order, but give me your best thoughts for a magical cartridge the can do it all-

I want to build a hunting rifle on a Manners mcs-cs1 stock that will be nice a packable.

I live in Alaska so Deer, sheep, bear, moose etc. out to 600 yds accurately

I have teenage kids/wife that would use it too (adjustable LOP stock very handy)

Recoil manageable- will most likely add a break

Barrel - CarbonSix with Remage nut, 18-20" - break dependent, possible can in future

Action- Rem 700, prefer Short (limited by mag space to 2.8 COL) unless Long is clearly better.

Bolt- standard or mag?

*edited- I reload so option for different bullets in same cartridge

I have a friend that has built several accurate rifles with the Remage nut so I plan to learn from him thus I am limited to factory parts- no extended box in a short, no lathe work, etc. Now if there isn't a perfect cartridge, the Remage nut would allow a easy barrel swap..... so maybe suggest your best single cartridge for one barrel, then if you think two barrels would be better, which two that share the same bolt face?

Build a 338 Sherman Shortmag can reach the 2800FPS area with 250gr bullets

This is what I had @Nick@Straight-Jacket from Straight Jacket Armory build for me its shooting the 236gr hammer hunters at 2840FPS it sits in a Manner EH1, stiller predator action (long action), Proof 24" 1:9.4 twist barrel, and Ryan Pierce 5 ports Muscle brake topped with Nightforce 2.5-10x42 scope weighs 9Lbs.

My 10 year old daughter shoots it and loves it. Pictures is with old scope on it.

20190410_061625.jpg

I say go long action. I mean what's the 6oz (or whatever) difference when you are adding weight for a barrel nut and muzzle break?

Then for a one rifle, I'd build it in 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag for a cartridge with factory ammo.

If it "must be" a short action then I'd say Rich and Lance are spot on.

I personally would be more concerned with components you can get locally, such as brass, etc.

Good luck,
Steve

Not familiar with the bighorn action, will need to look at it as an option, especially if it's designed to be interchangeable. And also set up for a longer COaL in a short action.

The RCM seems like it was designed for a short barrel. How does the 300 RCM compare to the 338 RCM? What powders work in it? Superformance?

Are the Sherman Shorts viable at standard 2.80"?

thanks for the inputs

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts