fnlights

Hi All,

My dad and I have an elk hunt planned for the first rifle season in Northern Colorado - we are looking at some higher quality boots and it seems everyone that has Crispi's loves them.

The issue being, I am from PA so there are no Crispi, Kenetrek, etc dealers near us to try the boots on. I am able to find a pair of Crispi Guide GTX's at a local Sportsmans, but they do not have my size. But they seem built extremely well and look durable.

So question being, what model of Crispi boots do you have and are they insulated? I would love to be able to use the boots back here in PA also, so I am leaning towards an insulated pair.

Any insight is appreciated!

I have Crispi Neveda and Summit and they are great boots. the Nevada has more lateral support and a more rigid sole, nice with a pack and on hills. I have Kenetrek Mountain Guides with 200 grams of insulation and they are great and even with the insulation are still comfortable in 40 or 50 degree weather. If I had to have just one pair it would be the Kenetreks, and it's not even close.

I have Crispi Neveda and Summit and they are great boots. the Nevada has more lateral support and a more rigid sole, nice with a pack and on hills. I have Kenetrek Mountain Guides with 200 grams of insulation and they are great and even with the insulation are still comfortable in 40 or 50 degree weather. If I had to have just one pair it would be the Kenetreks, and it's not even close.
Yeah the Kenetrek Mountain Guides are the other option I have considered - seem to be the favorite after a break in period. I just wish I could try them on - literally no one in NW PA carries them. I can at least try on the wrong size of Crispi Guide GTX's.

The other option is to buy one of all and return them, but the return shipping would add up lol.

This is the model I have: Crispi Hunter GTX (insulated). I ordered mine off the internet (not below link!) and they are true to size, just remember socks in your calculation - I am in between sizes. They fit great.

I have the following brand/ model:
Crispi Colorado
Crispi Summit
Crispi Crossover
Kenetrek Mountain Extremes.

So, which do I prefer? All of them depending on environmental conditions. Colorado for rugged and warm to so so cold conditions. Summit for not so rugged conditions and Kenetrek for rugged and COLD conditions even though they are not insulated.

I have the Crispi Wyoming GTX uninsulated for when I hunt in Arizona and the Crispi West River insulated for when I hunt in PA. I love both pair. For me they are very comfortable and only took 1 or 2 hiking sessions to break them in. They run true to size, have good lateral support and the insoles do not have an aggressive arch. My feet are pretty flat so the Kenetreks were very uncomfortable for me until I swapped out insoles. The Kenetreks were a good boot for me but I felt overbuilt for my needs, heavier and with the additional insoles were $500+.

The West Rivers are a Scheel's exclusive.

Crispi West River

I have the Crispi Wyoming GTX uninsulated for when I hunt in Arizona and the Crispi West River insulated for when I hunt in PA. I love both pair. For me they are very comfortable and only took 1 or 2 hiking sessions to break them in. They run true to size, have good lateral support and the insoles do not have an aggressive arch. My feet are pretty flat so the Kenetreks were very uncomfortable for me until I swapped out insoles. The Kenetreks were a good boot for me but I felt overbuilt for my needs, heavier and with the additional insoles were $500+.

The West Rivers are a Scheel's exclusive.

Crispi West River
I did look at those West Rivers, seems like an amazing price on them. There about $150 cheaper than the Kenetreks

I have the following brand/ model:
Crispi Colorado
Crispi Summit
Crispi Crossover
Kenetrek Mountain Extremes.

So, which do I prefer? All of them depending on environmental conditions. Colorado for rugged and warm to so so cold conditions. Summit for not so rugged conditions and Kenetrek for rugged and COLD conditions even though they are not insulated.
I have read that the un-insulated Kenetreks are actually fairly warm, guessing because they are built so well. I did think about getting the Kenetreks with 400g insulation so they can be used for long treestand sits in the PA snow when rifle hunting.

I have read that the un-insulated Kenetreks are actually fairly warm, guessing because they are built so well. I did think about getting the Kenetreks with 400g insulation so they can be used for long treestand sits in the PA snow when rifle hunting.
My feet run on the warm side so even in real cold weather I never use insulated boots of any kind. And yes, I hunt Illinois in a tree stand during late season too.

BlackOvis/Camofire is an excellent company to deal with and they have great sales.

I wasn't implying anything about BlackOvis. When I said "not that website" I literally meant that isn't where I bought mine. I am currently stationed in Italy and I bought mine off a local website. This is where Crispis are made and I bought them for 1/2 what they cost in the states. The plan is to buy several more pairs before I split out of here next year.

I've had 3x Kennetreks, 2xSalomons, 4xCrispi, 2xLowa, Zamberlan, Danner, Keen etc.

I live in the southwest, so cold is not an issue. After trying them all I prefer the Crispis for my needs. They are very comfortable to me and great all around boots. I've always preferred the Nevada's.

The pairs of Kennetreks I have owned have also been great boots, just a bit rigid for me. If I were going up into big mountains, as in Idaho or Alaska or whatever, I would probably enjoy them much more than I do down here in our lower Rocky Mtns and one the desert hills. My kids used to call the Kennetreks my storm trooper boots cause they were so stiff. They hold water pretty well too, if you have to cross a River the hard way ;)

I do buy the Kennetrek seal/wax and keep all of my boots lubed up with it at least once or twice a year.

Lowa renegades are great on the feet, but I've had two pairs where the side stitching separated on the edges where they articulate. Frustrating, but not hard to fix.

Good boots are a blessing when you're hunting or hiking. Keep your feet in good shape and you'll hunt longer and harder.

I catch heck for it, but I have been known to get a pedicure or two during the fall and it sure helps my feet out a lot. There's even a picture floating around of me asleep in the pedicure chair with a Coors Light in my hand and a steamed towel wrapped around my face while my feet were soaking in some juice concauction that looked like a pineapple margarita. Sometimes they even do a ziplock bag full of hot parafin fun wax on each foot and they squeeze it In between my toes, then when it sets up they peel it off. That's what I get for going to a salon owned by my wife's friends, I show up with a 6 pack and a couple bottles of wine in the late afternoon and become the entertainment for the day. Haha its a little awkward but so worth it.

JM