Which Composite Stock

Wow... Thanks for all of the replies. You guys know your stuff. Just a few thoughts after reading through this several times.

• From what I've read, a heavier bullet will help due to the higher bc's but, I'll have work on that when I start reloading my own. It's on my birthday list.....
  • Thanks for the heads up on the rework of my Leupold. I always get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach just at the thought of offing the Leupy. I haven't called the factory yet, but for the inexpensive price of the turret retrofit, perhaps a reticle change can be done as well. The varmint reticle's 3, 4, and 500 yard hash marks just don't track close enough with the ultra mag.
  • The savings on the cost of re-scoping brings a whole different aspect to my thought process. A new Hart, Shilen, Brux or other, barell makes allot of sense although the cost for another brake is surely required. It's not that a hard hitting recoil bothers me, i just don't see the need to take the punishment if I don't need to.
  • For what it's worth, I still think truing the action can't be a bad thing. The wear pattern on mine is just seeing one lug wearing the bluing off a little faster the the other. I'm sure the loading differential is minor, but like everything else in my life, I just have to tinker with it.
  • nimrod1203, Thanks for pointing out the difference in the barrel channels. Yes, it would bother me if it didn't have a correct fit or too large of a gap. Some of the stuff I've had to hike through would surly pack it full of pine needles and leaves. I was reading another post earlier of a guy to took an elk at 1003 yards. In the picture of the guy with his massive elk was a wooden stocked Remington. I'll still most likely replace stock, but it's an interesting thought.
  • Yep, my bad on the Speer listing. The Scirocco's are made by Swift.
  • The way I see it, my choices are limited as a left handed shooter. Full on custom for a large investment or, giving the one I have a tuneup for allot less. Thanks again for the ideas and help. TA

Almost forgot the whole point of my original post. Yes, the Manners MCS-T stock sure looks like a nice stock. Just wish I could get my hands on one before ordering it....

Thanks again. TA

One last thing to keep in mind TA, If you send your action in and they do a blueprinting job, that typically involves cutting the threads to oversided square dimensions...which means you cannot use your factory barrel at that point. If they simply square the face, bolt, and lap the lugs, it will still fit, but most barrel makers include this in a rebarrel anyways. Just one other thing to keep in mind. Basically you'd get free what you would pay for anyways with the purchase of a new barrel. To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense putting a factory barrel on a squared action, as there is no guarantee it will shoot any better than it does as of now. Good luck going with whichever.
Nimrod

Hi TA1911,

I am a 300 freak. I own 6 300's from the 300 win mag, Weatherby 300, and the 300 RUM.

On one of my Winchester pre-1964 I have a Bell & Carlson. This was my go-to-gun since the early 80's. An extremely strong stock and easy to pillar bed. It is in the camo pattern and was easy on the wallet. The only negative is it weighs about the same as the wooden Rem stock at 38 ozs. Great stock.

The weatherby has a fiber-lite stock, with pencil barrel. Great weight for the mountain hunting. Overall the lighter weight gun has a stouter kick.

I had the standard Rem wooden stock on the 300 RUM. I found a used Rem grey laminated stock which is 5 ozs heavier than the original wooden stock. Looks great, easy to pillar bed, strong and stable, and very easy on the wallet. The extra weight helps to reduce the felt recoil and helps to reduce stress on the scope mounts. I pillar bedded the stock. The gun is extemely accurate and I could not be happier with the stock.

I have a HS stock on a Rem 7mag. Great stock. Strong and looks great and it is light. However it is heavy on the wallet.

Hope this helps.

Hi TA1911,

I am a 300 freak. I own 6 from the 300 win mag, Weatherby 300, and the 300 RUM.

On one of my Winchester pre-1964 I have a Bell & Carlson. This was my go-to-gun since the early 80's. An extremely strong stock and easy to pillar bed. It is in the camo pattern and easy on the wallet. The only negative is it weighs about the same as the wooden Rem stock at 38 ozs. Great stock.

The weatherby has a fiber-lite stock, with pencil barrel. Great weight for the mountain hunting. Overall a lighter weight gun and has a stout kick.

I had the standard Rem wooden stock on the 300 RUM. I found a used Rem grey laminated stock which is 5 ozs heavier than the original wooden stock. Looks great, easy to pillar bed, strong and stable, and very easy on the wallet. The extra weight helps to reduce the felt recoil and helps to reduce stress on the scope mounts. I pillar bedded the stock. The gun is extemely accurate and I could not be happier with the stock.

I have a HS stock on a Rem 7mag. Great stock. Strong and looks great and it is light. However it is heavy on the wallet.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.