Which Composite Stock

TA1911A1

Ok folks, long time reader of the forum but first post.

I have a Remington 700 CDL Left Handed in 300 RUM. Aside from a trigger job and a muzzle brake, it's all stock. Sitting atop is a Leupold VX3L 4-14X40 with the varmint reticle.

Using the Remington loads with the 180 gr Speer Sirocco, I'm consistently hitting 2.5 to 3" groups at 300yds off sandbags but it starts getting a little inconsistent beyond the 300 mark. My goal is consistent sub MOA out to 600 and I feel its time for some work.

First up is blueprinting the action. No brainer there especially when I can see the locking lugs on the bolt wearing differently.

Second up is dumping the Leupold for something with adjustable turrets such as the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR. Simple so far right???

Third up is a composite stock and here's the question: I have been eyeballing the HS precision, Manners, and Greybull stocks but have never shot behind one. I'm after a hunting style stock that provides a solid platform and one I can attach a bi-pod to. I don't need anything like an A5 style tactical stock as this is my hunting rig and that's what it will remain. I'm not looking to upgrade the barrel at this time as I'd like to keep it as light as possible. All I need is a 1st cold bore shot with the possibility of a quick follow up.

So for those of you fortunate enough to have the knowledge; can you help point me to the best stock for the application even if it's not one of the three listed above?

Thanks for your assistance, TA

my vote is for Greybull followed by HS. Mostly because they are the stocks I use and I like the feel of the greybull best.

TA1911A1: Good post, good question as I have been contemplating a different stock for over a year now. Problem I have is how do you make a decision when you can't see one first. Oh well - the joys of living in the boonies

For those of you that have the Greybull - couple of questions for you
- Do you know what your stock weighs?
- How did your accuracy compare from your old stock to the Greybull?
- If you had anything on the Greybull you could change what would it be?
- How was the initial fit to your action/barrel?

I have it in my head that I want to try a more drop down pistol grip type stock that will be used for a lot of packing and the sole purpose of hunting so weight always comes into play, 1st cold bore shot is max importance.

I sure have not read any negatives on the Greybull stock and I have gotten the impression that they are willing to take one back if it doesn't fit your needs but I hate to go that route.

Looking forward to future comments - good luck in finding what you want.

And by the way - welcome to the forum.

Welcome! I've shot / handled many. Favorites in a sporter configuration are, Manners mcs-t, mcmillan hunter, and Darrel Hollands stock. Unhesitantly endorse all three.

I haven't had my hands on a greybull, but they look nice. Not really a sporter, but plenty handy. Mcmillan has a new sporter A3 along the same lines.

HS stocks are a great value, but lack the look and feal of the others, in my opinion.

I'm a manners fan. Don't own one, but will some day I'm sure. On the scope, a buddy of mine has the VX3 Luepy. He called Luepy and sent his away. They fitted his VX3 with target turrets so that he could use it for long range. I'm a Vortex. I own one and some day another, but going to the HS is a bit of a step back in optical quality. JMHO!

I'll take a shot at all three questions and give you my opinion.
1- If you are seeing wear you probably aren't that far away from a new barrel. If it were mine I would wait to square your action when you screw a new tube on.
2- The scope you have will do the job nicely. As mentioned call leupold and send your scope in for m-1 turrets. They charge $60 per turret and are well worth it.
3- All of the stocks you mentioned are quality stocks. I have shot hs and mcmillan and I believe any of them will perform well. More important than the brand is how it fits you and is the style you picked the most comfortable for how you will be shooting it. Don't worry about the brand, pick the style, configuration, and weight that fits your needs and order it. When you get it have it properly bedded and I promise you will be happy with it.

I think all the above mentioned stocks will do the trick. I guess I would vote for a Manners T5-A Manners Composite Stocks

Off the subject, I would use a heavier bullet.

:) I've been patiently waiting about 3months for my Manners T-5 (I'm a southpaw & they don't offer the adjustable version in LH)

OP- I've been around the HS a bunch & like it as well. I wouldn't worry too much about action truing until you need/want another barrel. Extra expense for little to no return. The Leupy can/will do well with the target turrets, you can do the M1's or Kenton's or Stone points.

PS, just to poke fun. Speer doesn't make the Scirocco, Swift does :D Great bullet by the way. Let us know which way you go.

Hi TA. Welcome to the forum! I've been studying stocks for about a year now, and have come upon all of the ones you're looking at and have done countless hours of research. Here is what I think, which you can take with a grain of salt.
For a sporter LR type of stock, the Manners MCS-T seems to be the best looking, strongest one of the ones mentioned. The biggest deal for me is fit and finish if I'm going to spend the money, and the Manners can be ordered with custom barrel channels whereas the hs and greybull cannot. I believe from what I've read the Greybull only comes with a barrel channel opened up for 1 inch or so, so if you have a sporter weight barrel as you do, there will be a large gap on both sides of your barrel. This does not affect the way the stock performs and from all reviews the Greybull is a fantastic stock, but It's just that minor irritation for me. HS precision I believe is the same way. They have sporter or varmint barrel channels. The "easiest" route is to call Manners or Mcmillan and order a fully inletted drop in ready stock. Then bed the action to that stock. The fit and finish will be spot on, and you will no doubt have the best stock on the market either way. With all that being said, It wouldn't make any sense to just to order a stock in the same style as you have now if you have a wood stock. Most wooden stocks can be made to be as accurate with little work and for far less money. As the guys have said, a new barrel will give the most upgrade for the money. If I were you, which obviously I'm not, I would first send my Leupy in, since you already have quality optics, and have them upgrade to Turrets. Then I would Re-barrel, which will help tremendously. Then I would bed the new barreled action into the stock. However, The factory tupper-ware stocks are not as good, then in that case you would need to re-stock. Unless you're wanting a straight down pistol grip, You can get just as much accuracy out of a laminated Boyd's stock thats properly bedded. They are under $150, whereas the Mcmillan's and Manner's run about $500 + or -. So instead of a blueprinting job which is $150-$200 depending on smith's, then a new stock which is $350-$500 and still not have the accuracy you would by spending $350-$500 on a barrel job and $75 or so on a bedding/pillar job and $120 for new turrets on your Leupold. All in all, a barrel job ends up being cheaper and they will give you the biggest improvement in accuracy. *sigh* Thats what I've found.
Nimrod

Last edited:
One more thing I forgot. Most people do not blueprint an action even when they re-barrel. Some smith's recommend it, some don't. The general idea is there isn't much proof it makes a dramatic difference, but better safe than sorry so go ahead and do it because everything matters at 1000 yards. As far as the lugs wearing unevenly...you can fix that by lapping the lugs. there are ton's of articles on this site that touches on how to do that, and it would square your lugs to your action. It could be a simple fix like that. Also check the remington unplugged article on realguns.com....The guy builds a .22-250 rem 700 without a lathe and it shoots 1/4" groups. Good luck on whichever direction you go!
Nimrod

Truing the action will most likely require setting the barrel back to reset headspace. At that point you're only the cost of a barrel from a new custom! I would not screw a new barrel on an action without truing, especially one with visibly uneven lug wear.

While the barrel is unarguable the greatest factor in accuracy potential, the action certainly plays a role.

I wasn't saying that action trueing isn't effective. All I was stating is if you only had say $500 to spend action blueprinting isn't the first step. Typically blueprinting is only selected for those wanting extreme accuracy or to ensure every possible option is exhausted. Ask any smith and they do more barrel job's without blueprinting than they do with a full blueprint. What most will do is square the action face, bolt face, and lap the lugs. Is this blueprinting? nope....but that's what they seem to feel needs to be done for sure. The easiest option is to send your action directly to hart, pac-nor, or about any of the other barrel makers and they will do a poor man's blueprint and screw the barrel on usually for a flat fee. I know Hart is $650 for all of that including the price of the barrel.
Nimrod

TA1911A1:
For those of you that have the Greybull - couple of questions for you
- Do you know what your stock weighs?
- How did your accuracy compare from your old stock to the Greybull?
- If you had anything on the Greybull you could change what would it be?
- How was the initial fit to your action/barrel?

-Greybull advertises their stock at 2.6# this seems accurate to me.
-I put the stock on when I rebarreled / trued the action so can't comment on before vs after accuracy.
-If I could change anything, I might add a slightly raised cheek rest and I would space out the double studs on the forearm (the studs do not allow a caldwell / harris type bipod and sling on two swivels) also, a guy might add some additional color options (that's more than one, i know!)
-can't answer the fourth question - however, the gunsmith that put my build together mentioned several times how much he liked that stock!

I hope that helps, again I would be very happy with one on each of my rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.