Which Chronograph?!??

MD
All I know is I have been so very frustrated through the years with the four different brands I have used in the past hat this Magnetospeed is like the best present I have bought in a long time. It is super fast to attach, very compact and has not missed a beat yet. I mainly use it for getting the best ES on loads and if it changes the impact at all it really does not matter for me.
It seems the best way to go.I'll work up a load for group size and watch for pressure,then use the crono to find the velocity.

My dad fooled around with just about all of the different, less expensive, chronographs before he bought his Oehler 35P. Since purchasing his Oehler he hasn't had a single issue and he wouldn't turn loose of it for anything. Now hold that thought for a minute.

Last fall I heard about these new MagnetoSpeed Chronographs so I read what I could about them and bought one. A few weeks ago I went out shooting with my dad and took my MagnetoSpeed along. At first glance my dad wasn't to impressed with it. Maybe it wasn't elaborate enough looking, not sure. Then I set it up, which took all of about 60 seconds. THIS got his attention because he stopped teasing me about it and said "that's all you have to do to set it up?" Then we started using it and that's all it took. He still thinks his Oehler is far superior and maybe it is I don't know and don't really care but I thought it was funny when he called me the following week and wanted to know where I bought it because he wants to get one too.

I haven't used my MagnetoSpeed very much but the little that I have used it, it performed flawlessly with not a single hiccup. Now I don't know if they are the "Best" chronograph to buy because I'm not sure if one person can define what's the "Best" of anything but I can tell you they are reasonably priced, they have very good quality, I can take it out of the box and literally have it ready to use in 60 seconds, it's unaffected but light or the lack of and most importantly, they work extremely well which makes the MagnetoSpeed the "Best" chronograph for me.

My dad fooled around with just about all of the different, less expensive, chronographs before he bought his Oehler 35P. Since purchasing his Oehler he hasn't had a single issue and he wouldn't turn loose of it for anything. Now hold that thought for a minute.
Last fall I heard about these new MagnetoSpeed Chronographs so I read what I could about them and bought one.

Have you shot through the Oehler with your Magneto on to compare readings?

Thanks
Jeff

MD
All I know is I have been so very frustrated through the years with the four different brands I have used in the past hat this Magnetospeed is like the best present I have bought in a long time. It is super fast to attach, very compact and has not missed a beat yet. I mainly use it for getting the best ES on loads and if it changes the impact at all it really does not matter for me.

going thru four different chronographs leads me to thing that maybe it's in your setup at the range. I know more than one guy that bought a used chronograph that the guy said wasn't worht a nickel, and made it work just fine (several different brands at that)

Myself, I ain't exactly fond of clamping anything out on the end of a five hundred dollar barrel
gary

Jeff, yes we have and the MagnetoSpeed always, at least so far, reads slightly higher fps around 15-20fps. Being closer to the barrel is my guess why. The ES numbers were nearly identical.

I know you really like your Oehler and for good reason because not only is the Oehler 35P and excellent chronograph but the people that make them have the finest customer service you will ever find but for as much as you shoot I think you would REALLY like one of these MagnetoSpeed Chronographs. In fact if you would like to give one a try just for sheets and giggles I'd be more than happy to box mine up and send it to you and then you can decide for yourself what you think. Jeff, let me know if you wanna give one a try and I'll send it out to you today.

Bryan

Thanks
Jeff

Yes, (Oehler 43) very comparable, although velocities are a few fps higher (the Oehler sits farther down range).

The Oehler actually showed higher deviation than the Magneto...Given it is a 6mmbr and makes one hole at 600 yards I will go with the Magneto every time.

Thanks
Jeff

Lapua is using the Kurzzeit to test their match rimfire ammo for serious shooting. That's good enough for me. You spend $600 on the Ohler and then need to build a better light bar setup due to how slow the operating speed is. The Square Peg setup last time I hear was close to $300! I can buy the Kurzzeit for $795 and it works off of one tripod ( a good one from Walmart). Just looks like the best setup I've ever seen period, and in the end comes in cheaper. It will be my next chronograph without a second thought.
gary

Yes, (Oehler 43) very comparable, although velocities are a few fps higher (the Oehler sits farther down range).

The Oehler actually showed higher deviation than the Magneto...Given it is a 6mmbr and makes one hole at 600 yards I will go with the Magneto every time.

This has been my experience, and preference as well.

going thru four different chronographs leads me to thing that maybe it's in your setup at the range. I know more than one guy that bought a used chronograph that the guy said wasn't worht a nickel, and made it work just fine (several different brands at that)

Myself, I ain't exactly fond of clamping anything out on the end of a five hundred dollar barrel
gary

Don't knock it till you check it out closer. If it hurts a five hundred dollar barrel you paid to much for it.

Last fall I heard about these new MagnetoSpeed Chronographs so I read what I could about them and bought one. A few weeks ago I went out shooting with my dad and took my MagnetoSpeed along. At first glance my dad wasn't to impressed with it. Maybe it wasn't elaborate enough looking, not sure. Then I set it up, which took all of about 60 seconds. THIS got his attention because he stopped teasing me about it and said "that's all you have to do to set it up?" Then we started using it and that's all it took. He still thinks his Oehler is far superior and maybe it is I don't know and don't really care but I thought it was funny when he called me the following week and wanted to know where I bought it because he wants to get one too.

I haven't used my MagnetoSpeed very much but the little that I have used it, it performed flawlessly with not a single hiccup. Now I don't know if they are the "Best" chronograph to buy because I'm not sure if one person can define what's the "Best" of anything but I can tell you they are reasonably priced, they have very good quality, I can take it out of the box and literally have it ready to use in 60 seconds, it's unaffected but light or the lack of and most importantly, they work extremely well which makes the MagnetoSpeed the "Best" chronograph for me.
Some people think the more you pay the better the product is, sometimes this is not the case. The magneto speed functions different than most on the market and works for what I need it for. Obviously it will not work for a bow or semi auto pistol but again I use it mainly for getting my best loads with the lowest ES on my long range guns.

Jeff, yes we have and the MagnetoSpeed always, at least so far, reads slightly higher fps around 15-20fps. Being closer to the barrel is my guess why. The ES numbers were nearly identical.

I know you really like your Oehler and for good reason because not only is the Oehler 35P and excellent chronograph but the people that make them have the finest customer service you will ever find but for as much as you shoot I think you would REALLY like one of these MagnetoSpeed Chronographs. In fact if you would like to give one a try just for sheets and giggles I'd be more than happy to box mine up and send it to you and then you can decide for yourself what you think. Jeff, let me know if you wanna give one a try and I'll send it out to you today.

Bryan

Sorry for the duplicate post I missed this.

I should also add I have 2 CEDs (one brand new in box) and they will be sold.

I also agree that Oehler is a great company. The problem is that the technology they are using is getting pretty old in the tooth. No slight on Oehler (or any other light screen chronograph), but the technology is twitchy to muzzle blast and light conditions....Best case.

I use a Chrony brand and it works great!! slightly less expensive than RCBS. The part i like about the RCBS is the optic sensors are farther apart, suggesting better accuracy.

I use a Chrony brand and it works great!! slightly less expensive than RCBS. The part i like about the RCBS is the optic sensors are farther apart, suggesting better accuracy.

the wider spread usually is a result of slower operating electronics in the unit. Wether this is good or bad can be debated till the end of time. The most accurate chronograph has it cells roughly 16" apart (maybe closer). It uses inferred cells. (four of them)

The one thing that kinda bothers me about that Magneto thing is that the data gathered cannot be compaired with a chronograph placed ten or fifteen out from the muzzel as it will not register the acceleration of the bullet out there. Probably a minor point, but important when compairing information. Also I load for accurate groups first and speed means little if you can't hit what you aim at. Plus another poster commented on getting his ES as low as he could get it, but some of the loads I have developed that were in the five to seven fps area didn't group all that well. Got nothing against the concept, and never said it didn't work. Still data from one to another is apples to oranges in my book. But on the otherhand it is pretty much fool proof to setup.

As I said; "if I were buying a new chronograph, it'd be the Kurzzreit" without a second thought.
gary

the wider spread usually is a result of slower operating electronics in the unit. Wether this is good or bad can be debated till the end of time. The most accurate chronograph has it cells roughly 16" apart (maybe closer). It uses inferred cells. (four of them)

The one thing that kinda bothers me about that Magneto thing is that the data gathered cannot be compaired with a chronograph placed ten or fifteen out from the muzzel as it will not register the acceleration of the bullet out there. Probably a minor point, but important when compairing information. Also I load for accurate groups first and speed means little if you can't hit what you aim at. Plus another poster commented on getting his ES as low as he could get it, but some of the loads I have developed that were in the five to seven fps area didn't group all that well. Got nothing against the concept, and never said it didn't work. Still data from one to another is apples to oranges in my book. But on the otherhand it is pretty much fool proof to setup.

As I said; "if I were buying a new chronograph, it'd be the Kurzzreit" without a second thought.
gary

My understanding is that the bullet will loose velocity from the the time it exits the barrel. It will not accelerate. In order to have exact muzzle velocity you must add back the velocity that is lost from distance that the chronograph is placed. Some ballistic programs accommodate this. It's not much, but none the less, once accounted for there is no difference using the velocities from either chronograph as long as they are accurate readings. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.