Which chronograph do you recommend?

garyx

I need to buy a chronograph. I have been reading alot of threads on how temper mental these are. With sunlight and cloudy days. What is a good reliable chronograph. how much do you have to spend.

The plain old Shooting Chrony for ~$100 is good enough for many of us.

There are better ones. They usually cost more. But, most are subject to some of the same issues.

By all means, get the best you can afford.

But in the end, the chronograph doesn't make your rifle shoot straighter or your bullets faster. They do give you some additional feedback for dialing in effective loads more quickly. And, for developing useful trajectory data. ...especially for getting on paper/steel at long range with new loads.

-- richard

I've been happy with with my Competition Electronics Prochrono. It's simple to use and it's reliable.

I just placed an order for an Oehler yesterday. I was told it would be 4 weeks before it would ship. After reading through many opinions on various sites it seems they are thought to be the best by many.

The CED M2 is what I'm currently using and am satisfied with it. The Oehler is considered the best consumer grade chronograph from what I understand but it's more than my budget will allow. If my memory is correct the CED was about $180.00 a few years back.

I'd like to echo what Richard said as far as using the chrono for additional feedback and keeping track of ES/SD. They are useful tools but they are not perfect.

Also a trick I do to avoid any issues with clouds or sun, I always set up a EZ-UP style canopy over my chrony so lighting conditions are always pretty consistant. A second canopy puts you in the shade as well and here in AZ that's sure nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.