Which cartridge for lrh for 1000yd.

quickone

Which calibers give single digit sd. 7mag,300mag, 300um, 338um.
I've had smiths tell me they get a higher percentage of good 30cal
barrels then 7mm; but they say when you get a good 7mm then you
have something. Lets face it i'm a state of tx. Employee i can't
afford to buy four barrels. I hear the 7mag rws brass is good,
but cant find any 300mag in lapua for years. With match ptg reamer
what really works a high percentage of the time. For lrh and slapping steel and rocks. If you were only going to build one do
all rifle. I prefer my 6br, 223, 6.5x55usa match, 25's for deer. But
i'm planning lrh build- custom sendero style build with best barrel
i can find. Even considering stiller or bordon, defiance action.
I am experienced reloader with lots equipment, but prefer no-turn
necks. My hand held hornady neck turner is junk.

What do you plan on hunting at 1000yds? If elk is on the menu or similar size game the most affordable to own and shoot option that I would choose would be the good ol' .300win or wsm. I personally would skip the rum and step up to a .338 of your choice if you want something bigger.

Which calibers give single digit sd. 7mag,300mag, 300um, 338um.
I've had smiths tell me they get a higher percentage of good 30cal
barrels then 7mm; but they say when you get a good 7mm then you
have something. Lets face it i'm a state of tx. Employee i can't
afford to buy four barrels. I hear the 7mag rws brass is good,
but cant find any 300mag in lapua for years. With match ptg reamer
what really works a high percentage of the time. For lrh and slapping steel and rocks. If you were only going to build one do
all rifle. I prefer my 6br, 223, 6.5x55usa match, 25's for deer. But
i'm planning lrh build- custom sendero style build with best barrel
i can find. Even considering stiller or bordon, defiance action.
I am experienced reloader with lots equipment, but prefer no-turn
necks. My hand held hornady neck turner is junk.
Lapua isn't the only maker of good brass so I wouldn't let that bother me at all.

7mm Mag is just a bit under powered for thousand yard game, but the 7mm STW is all you need and then some.

300WM will certainly get you there but 300Rum does it faster, flatter, and with more power at the end.

The 7mm Mag and 300WM are both all you need out to 750-800yds the other two take you where you need to be at 1,000.

If all you are going to do is plink targets however the 260 Rem or 6.5x284 are all you need and are extremely economical to shoot.

7 WSM. Sort the Winchester brass and match prep it. With H4350 and 168's it very temp stable and accurate. Had good success with the 180 Hybrids and H1000 also. It would take anything you want out to 1k without killing your shoulder.

Plan to hunt elk, mule deer, antelope; and practice my skills at longer ranges so i wanted a magnum ,but barrel life sucks on 6.5x284 and i have lots of mid and short actions. I don't OWN any
big medicine. I have shot the 338 lapua and love it, but not practical

Last edited:
Plan to hunt elk, mule deer, antelope; and practice my skills at longer ranges so i wanted a magnum ,but barrel life sucks on 6.5x284 and i have lots of mid and short actions. I don't OWN any
big medicine. I have shot the 338 lapua and love it, but not practical
why is it not practical?

I was wanting more barrel life thats why considering 30 or 338
as i do shoot a lot. Even considered a straight 284winny for
practice . Mostly interested in 300 ,but have entertained the 7stw
but most guys in this area have had some accuracy issues.

I was wanting more barrel life thats why considering 30 or 338
as i do shoot a lot. Even considered a straight 284winny for
practice . Mostly interested in 300 ,but have entertained the 7stw
but most guys in this area have had some accuracy issues.

If you want to kill elk to 1000 and practice alot plus want good barrel life you narrow it down pretty darn fast.

For a 30 cal go 300 win. Great brass available, superb accuracy, and a long range bullet selection that is awesome.

If you think you are going to have the majority of your shots on elk at 1000 or past, then go 338, the 338 EDGE, Lapua or RUM. I beg to differ on the 338 LM not being practical. The LM brass will be going strong after you have tossed away 3 times as many cases in other 338's. That is if you load them close to 2800 fps like the LM will do. And you did say you were going to shoot a lot so now the LM brass is the lowest in cost. The custom action will cost you a little more. But take a $400 Rem 700 doner and have it trued and a few other mods ( bolt release etc) and you have an action that is aproaching the cost of a custom, only you still have a 700 action. Not that they are not a good action, but I would go with a Stiller for under 1K if I was looking for a value in a custom action. Or if you can find a Weatherby rifle for a doner, or a used action, screw a 338 LM chambered barrel on it and go. No truing needed.

Jeff.

ps: I have 1000's of rounds through the 338 LM's and the 300 win's. Including many long range elk kills with both, no regrets here.

If you want to kill elk to 1000 and practice alot plus want good barrel life you narrow it down pretty darn fast.

For a 30 cal go 300 win. Great brass available, superb accuracy, and a long range bullet selection that is awesome.

If you think you are going to have the majority of your shots on elk at 1000 or past, then go 338, the 338 EDGE, Lapua or RUM. I beg to differ on the 338 LM not being practical. The LM brass will be going strong after you have tossed away 3 times as many cases in other 338's. That is if you load them close to 2800 fps like the LM will do. And you did say you were going to shoot a lot so now the LM brass is the lowest in cost. The custom action will cost you a little more. But take a $400 Rem 700 doner and have it trued and a few other mods ( bolt release etc) and you have an action that is aproaching the cost of a custom, only you still have a 700 action. Not that they are not a good action, but I would go with a Stiller for under 1K if I was looking for a value in a custom action. Or if you can find a Weatherby rifle for a doner, or a used action, screw a 338 LM chambered barrel on it and go. No truing needed.

Jeff.

ps: I have 1000's of rounds through the 338 LM's and the 300 win's. Including many long range elk kills with both, no regrets here.
well put Jeff

I voted against the Rum and STW for the reasons you just mentioned. A one gun man at a 1000yds means your going to shoot it a lot so in my opinion those that are known to be harder on barrels would not be my first choice. If this were going to be strictly your 1000yd elk gun the 300Rum would be perfect. If I have to pick one however I'd stick with 300win like I said because if all goes as planned I'll only fire a few shots a year at game but lots & lots of shots on paper/steel. Actually I plan on building a 300wsm on a long action shooting 210-230's for this exact reason. Efficient and capable. A one gun does all is not the same thing as a perfect 1000yd elk gun in my opinion. Like I said earlier if that were the case I'd skip the RUM even though it fits the bill perfectly and go with a 338 of some sort because this rifle would not be firing hundreds of rounds a year and it could stretch it's legs out past the Rum a bit. These are just my thoughts though, take for what their worth.

I HEAR YOU JEFF MY FRIEND HAS A CZ 550 REBARRELLED TO 338LM AND I
DROWL OVER IT. ANOTHER HAS THE SAVAGE AND ONE A MODIFIED WIN 70.
DON'T HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH THE 7STW THE ONES I SHOT
WERE RECHAMBERED 7MAGS WITH FACTORY BARRELS.gun)

My buddy is the local gunsmith and has barrelled most of my rifles.
He's located distributors dumping new cm stw pretty cheap. I thought this would be a good donor because of the extended mag
box for the stw. Havent checked what oal or throat length is
needed for 215 berger in a 300wm. Am i planning in the right area.
I'll need more than a 10 twist if i go heavier in bullet weight
want i .

My buddy is the local gunsmith and has barrelled most of my rifles.
He's located distributors dumping new cm stw pretty cheap. I thought this would be a good donor because of the extended mag
box for the stw. Havent checked what oal or throat length is
needed for 215 berger in a 300wm. Am i planning in the right area.
I'll need more than a 10 twist if i go heavier in bullet weight
want i .

We seat the 210's and the 230 Bergers in a 700 sendero mag box with no problem, even with the extended throat reamers we use.

A 1 in 10 will work great for all the Bergers even the 230's. I think the 300 win would be a good choice for you. But like I said, if the majority of your elk shots are going to be 1000 or more, think 338.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.