Which cartridge for lrh for 1000yd.

I know by throwing my 2 cents on here, it's just my 2 cents, and that may be all its worth for you guys, but have at it!

I agree that when the first Hybrid came out, there was a B.C. calculation error. Mind you that this was the first Hybrid bullet of its kind, and it just happened to be the 338 cal that were talking about. Also to say that since then the other Hybrids have been spot on with their B.C. Calculations the best I know of?

Strictly from my experience and nothing more, I can tell you that I get to shoot all of these calibers, and most all these bullets we are all talking about a ton. Even in the last two months I have traveled to New Zealand with Eric Stecker from Berger Bullets, and Africa as well. Putting down a combined total of approx 100 animals testing bullets in New Zealand. Then to Africa for another 20 animals at distances over 1100 yards on first shot kills. We did this with a combined testing of both VLD's and Hybrids varying across the board in speed.

I can also tell you that Berger has given me there endorsement to be their new spokesperson. I am now doing all of there media filming and testing. This media content will be available in the next two weeks for everyone's information and to look over for product reviews and technical questions.

The point is, I eat, and sleep Berger Bullets lately! And I can tell you these bullets all do jobs differently based on their retained velocity and weight. Throw out how they get to target, that's up to the shooter. There is no doubt that all of these calibers and bullets and weights we have thrown in this conversation will kill at 1k. We have done it several times with repeatable performance. It is just what a guy is comfortable with, and what is going to give him the confidence in the field to competently make a 1k shot on a animal. I just thought it would be fun to throw in some fun facts based on the numbers, but in the end, Dead is dead! So I say go with whats going to get you to the goal your trying to achieve, Then get to the range and practice, practice, and when your tired, practice some more!!!

Bob,
Congrats on your work with berger, thats a job that most outdoorsmen (including me) dream of!

I was just stiring the pot more than anything.

Im actually planning a lightwieght, high horsepower 7mm build so I can give the 195's a go. single shot most likely. I would only use it for deer though:D.

Angus,

Thanks for the good word!

I will be posting tons of results on the 195's when I can get something meaty enough to be worthy for all you guys. I am glad your excited to give them a try!

Take care!

That's cool. Nobody's trying to sell you on the idea of the 7mm for elk at 1k. Different strokes for different folks, but the 7mm gets the job done at 1k, believe it or not. With a name like "winmag", I wouldn't expect you to be a 7mm guy ;)

You talk about barrel life being a concern between the 7mm and .338 chamberings, yet you make no mention of the significant cost increase in ammo for the .338's compared to the 7mm's. By the time you've burned out that 7mm barrel, you've saved enough cash in ammo, compared to something like the .338LM, to pay for a rebarrel on the 7mm!

You also say that the .300's currently beat the 7mm's, no contest, but I would respectfully beg to differ. Matrix makes a 190gr VLD in 7mm with a static BC of 0.807, Berger makes a 180gr Hybrid with a G1 BC of 0.674. The 7RM, for example, can launch a 180gr bullet at about 3000-3050fps. You can also launch a 0.625 G1 BC 162gr A-Max from the 7RM at 3100-3150fps. In order to match that BC, the .300 would need to launch at least a 210-215gr bullet, and a .300 with roughly equal case capacity, like the .300WM, would not be able to push the 210gr bullet fast enough to equal the 3100-3150fps that the 7RM gets with the 162. You need to run a 300 RUM in order to match the ballistics of a 7RM. The new 195 EOL is going to be an excellent bullet, I'm sure, but it's not the only kid on the block when it comes to excellent LR bullets in 7mm.

It's also cheating a little bit to include a brand new 230gr bullet in .308, but exclude the 195gr bullet that's coming out in 7mm in the next couple of months to match the new .308" and .338" offerings.

A lot of this is really just ballistic masturbation, but it gives us something to talk about until the next hunting season opens. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't take a cannon to kill elk, moose, or bears. Put a bullet that weighs 160gr+ (and smaller bullets even work, too!) in the chest or shoulder of any of these animals at 1800fps or more, and the critter is going to have a bad, albeit short, day.

Just a little food for thought:

600+ yard elk with 6.5 Creedmoor

925yard elk with 6.5x284

688 yard elk with .243

1090 yard elk 7RUM

I could go on and on with the videos of elk being killed with cartridges smaller than, or equal to 7mm out to 1000+ yards, but I'll stop there. My point is that .338" bullets are fantastic, and are, in general, ballistically superior to 7mm bullets, but how much is enough to get the job done at 1000 yards? The .375 Chey Tac is superior to the .338 platforms, so should we all sell our .338's and buy Chey Tac's, or maybe .375 AM rifles? I know that .338's work, and I'm very happy for anyone who uses one and enjoys it, but there are other bullets that carry their velocity very efficiently out to extended ranges, and kill very reliably, as well.
Barrel Life is simply not an issue with the 7mm Rem Mag unless one is doing a lot of high volume shooting heating them up, and/or lots of max loads with heavy bullets.

We have three with well over 2,000 rnds through them that still have zero issues.

My old 7mm STW that's closing in on 2,000rnds still shoots well enough to take a bobcat with a single cold bore shot at almost 900yds, and that was the first shot fired through it in 2 years.

Barrel Life is simply not an issue with the 7mm Rem Mag unless one is doing a lot of high volume shooting heating them up, and/or lots of max loads with heavy bullets.

We have three with well over 2,000 rnds through them that still have zero issues.

My old 7mm STW that's closing in on 2,000rnds still shoots well enough to take a bobcat with a single cold bore shot at almost 900yds, and that was the first shot fired through it in 2 years.

I concur. But for the guys that want to pick nits, the extended barrel life of the .338's is offset by the increased cost in ammo and components. That's the point I was making.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.