Which camera would you choose?

Red Sparky

Going to put out two cameras this year. Here is the situation so you can answer which camera you would put out under these circumstances.
1) public land
2)locked box with cable to hopefully keep them from being taken if found.
3)well hidden to minimize chances of being found and at least 350-400 yards down a trail away from the road.
4)will be out for 1-3 months before being checked, depends if forest gets shut down due to fire restrictions.
5)SD card capability for most pictures before batteries die or I check them.

The only thing from keeping me from spending a lot of bucks is the chances of them being taken if found. So which would you choose under these circumstances and why. Thanks

I would go with the Covert Infrared MP6 or the Primos Truth Cam 35. The Covert is only about $100 and small. The Covert took a great picture of a big mule deer buck we've been going after. The Primos Truth Cam can be bought at Wal-Mart for around $70-$80. Don't think just cause it's from Wal-Mart it's cheap. We set one up and it took great pictures of deer and elk. The Covert has more options as far as setting it up but the Primos isn't going to break your bank. If you don't want anyone to steal your cams then go with a small camera. Put the game camera in places you don't think anyone would go. Hope you get pictures of some game!

I have time to do this as I was going to put up cams in my elk hunting unit. Good news is I get to bow hunt elk this year, bad news it is not in the unit I have drawn for the past several years with my muzzle loader. Our draw system sucks as my first choice probably got beat out by somebodies third choice because they got drawn before me. I will check out those cameras and possibly set them up anyhow. Thanks

Don't get the Primos Truth Cam 46. It just dies after two seasons. Noisy when they take a picture. A friend bought one at the same time and they both died at about the same time. Piece of junk. Customer service told us they would not service them and would sell us a new one for the same price you can get one at Walmart....not good.

I have a decent amount of experience here. I had the truth cam 46 and as stated above it crapped out after a couple years. Up until that point I really liked it so I bought a truthcam 55 ultra to replace it and I love it. takes great pics and by far the easiest settings of any camera I have messed with. Almost fool proof.I veave it on the mountain in early spring for months at a time and it always works. This year I bought a cheapo wildgame innovations camera for a second angle on the bait and it seems to work really well. Lastly the moultry 880i I have not used it a lot but it seems like a great camera. I think you would be fine with any of those (the wildgame has horrible reviews btw so it may not last i dont know) A friend of mine swears by the new bushnell trophy cam HD and the reconyx (super expensive) look at trailcampro.com lots of good info.

I'm a little behind times on this post, but just in case I'm not too late, I'll contribute. I have a couple of Cabelas Outfitter Series 8mp Infrared cameras. They will accept up to 32GB sd cards and will run a couple of months on 8 AA lithium batteries. I can't tell you how long exactly they will last, because that varies with the environment. I have been pleased with the pictures they take and they are also capable of taking video. Hope this helps.

2nd choice Bushnell HD Black or Brown--Great videos
Been using one for at least 4 years and zero problems. Fast trigger - goes forever on lithium batteries - high quality videos - dead quiet - use a sanDisk 16gb 80mb/s ultra plus card.

Now some tips I've learned thru the years, the higher facing down the less game will spot it and same for people. The no glow flash works way better also for not seeing flash in the dark. Don't cover in front of course but to the sides it will break outline on tree trunks. Bungees work well for adjusting length and putting side branches in, use fast trigger speed if adjustable, the bushnell also gives you brightness options, I use med. Video light will adjust itself, the bigger flashcards will let you take hundreds of pics. Watercrossings and bait or scent will hold animals a little longer than walking by on trails and are more focused places for activity. Good Luck and remember you can always lose a cam but the further back in the better, I've found many in my years of scouting. They are safe if I see them but I usually let them take my pic so the owners know they have been found. I've also took many pics of people that never saw the cam, but they still make me pucker up and move it right away. Happy Cammin' Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts