Which caliber?

Backwoods Boy

Hey guys, just wondering which caliber would work best for coyotes and paper punching out to about 700 yards. I was thinking something in the .22 cal range just to keep recoil down. If it matters the gun will be built around a savage action (don't care about other action options) and barrel length will be determined by the bullet. The only other thing since I don't have the time or equipment to reload, I'll be shooting factory loads. Any help y'all can give will me greatly appreciated.

I think the key consideration is factory ammo. Handloading, your choices are endless. Long range with factory ammo limits you to calibers with great ammo and a lot of choices.

The 223 is great. Cheap, almost no recoil, and endless ammo choices. Next, I'd look at a 6.5. The Creedmore and 260 will be much more effective at long range. Not nearly the ammo selection, but reportedly great ammo available. The 308 has great ammo selection and match ammo. Recoil might be a bit more than you want.

Mabey others have more experience with factory ammo.

The 223 does have some excellent factory ammo available, so does the 204 and the 22-250, but I wouldn't purposely use any of these for coyotes at the distance you mention.

If you intend on shooting coyotes beyond 500 yds, hitting them with regularity and killing them quickly, I'd recommend the 243 as a minimum caliber. IMO, it's a good compromise between low recoil, low ammo cost and it's popular enough that you should be able to find some factory fodder that will shoot good in it.

I've used the 22-250 with normal weight bullets (55 grn.) on many coyotes over the years out to around 500 yds, but shot placement is critical at those distances with such a small bullet, and the slightest wind is likely to blow the bullet clean off the target.

The .308 might be the better fit since it will also be suitable for deer. Thanks for the help. I just wasn't sure if a .22 would be effective at the long ranges

.260 or 6.5 creedmore would do what you need out to 500 at least, seems both have some good factory loads out there. they buch\k the wind way better than a .22 as well. good luck!! Save a fawn and get all the little dogs that you can!!!

The 22's can stretch out. If deer are on the menu, I'd skip 'em.

The 308 sounds like a great match. Unbeatable for barrel life and versatility.

I would do a 7mm-08 over a 308, but the 260 and 6.5 creedmor would both be good choices.

I already have a 7-08 in a model 7 that is a great round but I would like some different. I'll have to look around a see if I can find the 6.5 or 260. If they are easy enough to get my hands on I might go that route.

I really like a 7mm WSM but a good 7/08 or maybe a 243 Win sounds good.

Once you get over the 500 yard marker the 22 cal drift alot.......the 308 Win makes a good 600 yard rifle a double as a deer rifle when needed and very popular.

The new 6.5/284 Norma in the new Savage Long Range rifle would be perfect!

.308, 260, 243 would all be excellent choices. Another option would be 257 Roberts, and 6.5x55 Swede. I'm a big .308 fan, but the 260 and 6.5x47Lapua would be my next adventure.

Savage is doing 6.5's. 260's should be easy to find.

I am not a factory ammo shooter. I suggested calibers based on high quality (match grade) factory ammo.

I'd be interested to hear from factory ammo shooters. How much ammo did you test to find an accurate round? What accuracy and velocity spreads are you getting? What ranges are you testing and shooting at?

I get guys wanting to shoot factory ammo all the time. I would appreciate any quality info. Feel free to send PM's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.