Which caliber

35 years of guiding only had a problem like yours one time I had a 500 S&W on me at the time Bear never knew what hit him

My apologies for quoting this again but it wouldn't let me quote your response to me as you quoted me and then the answer you typed in was also associated with me as a quote and I don't think you can quote yourself on here...

Anyways, do you have any photos of the incident/bear?

I ask because I carry a 500 S&W myself, and in the years I've been researching, tearing apart the abysmal studies done by Tom Smith and Stephen Herraro and the garbage that followed via article after article... bear spray vs firearm... firearms not as effective as you think and on and on.

I don't believe I've ever come across a 500 S&W defense of life incident, I find it interesting and would love to hear/read more if one would be so kind.

If it can be verified, an email to the gent that wrote the below article may be appreciated, as it allows the incident to be added to the data so we may more accurately and completely be aware of the realities of such things, may also help if the argument to relieve us of being able to carry in the woods for defense is ever levied.

For others interested, here is an article with many incidents, all can be independently verified.

Im sure there are a lot more cases of bears lions,that are not documented.For lots of reasons. Grizzlies have been shot around here with 22,s in folks chicken coops.Recently

I've only used a handgun once in over 45 years of guiding and it wasn't even the gun I normally carry...
Got back late from town was carrying my Kimber Ultra Carry in 45 ACP doing baits and had a 2.5 years old boar surprise me at the bait barrel and had to shoot him at 2'....a 230 gr. Federal HP ended up between his eyes with a second in the base of the neck....
Bottom line is you better ONLY use a gun to defend yourself at very short range and also be a very good shot if you need to use a handgun....
This is true, you are not gonna start shooting at 50yd . Most charges are "bluff". But you will have to be fast.
A 10mm is an awesome round. Just shoot a hard cast bullet with a wide meplat that has crisp sharp edges, you are going for penetration. This is not the situation for hollow points.
A ported auto will reduce recoil and allow you to stay on target better.
Also, remember you are gonna have some adrenaline going and how that goes depends on what end of the spectrum your on

I hope ya never get to find out too🍺

Last edited:
This first video is the best charge stoppage on video, have to go to youtube to watch it though, it won't video link here. Jesus I can't even just post the link, it's constantly posting it as a broken video.... Ha Ha! I won this challenge

Last edited:
My apologies for quoting this again but it wouldn't let me quote your response to me as you quoted me and then the answer you typed in was also associated with me as a quote and I don't think you can quote yourself on here...

Anyways, do you have any photos of the incident/bear?

I ask because I carry a 500 S&W myself, and in the years I've been researching, tearing apart the abysmal studies done by Tom Smith and Stephen Herraro and the garbage that followed via article after article... bear spray vs firearm... firearms not as effective as you think and on and on.

I don't believe I've ever come across a 500 S&W defense of life incident, I find it interesting and would love to hear/read more if one would be so kind.

If it can be verified, an email to the gent that wrote the below article may be appreciated, as it allows the incident to be added to the data so we may more accurately and completely be aware of the realities of such things, may also help if the argument to relieve us of being able to carry in the woods for defense is ever levied.

For others interested, here is an article with many incidents, all can be independently verified.

Most people when running a bait like me having a problem with a bear is not one of the problems we think about .... but the odds do add up and something is bound to happen someday.....maybe....
I have a friend 82 years old a guide been bear hunting in Michigan his hole life has shot and helped countless people harvest bears and has spent the majority of his life in the woods....he has never seen or been near a bear ever in his life unless he was hunting....also he never ever has carried a gun other than during bears season....
I asked him if he knew anyone ever attacked by a bear.....his answer was "no" he believed most were just a bluff just the same as if you were another bear.....

If the days were added up and the number of people added up that spent time in a area populated with bears....it would be far more dangerous to be in a city with criminals than in the woods with bears....
I always carry a pistol in the city !

I'm looking to buy a pistol to carry when fishing in Wyoming, what caliber would you get for bears? I was thinking of the 10 mm
Where in Wyoming? I live here and wonder where you anticipate bear problems? If you just need a reason to buy a(nother) firearm, get whatever you want:)