Which caliber for Varmints and targets out to 600. yards

matt_3479

I love varmint hunting, but i have never owned a proper caliber for it. I have always borrowed rifles from buddies. Its finally time to purchase my own. I will be buying factory and i haven't decided on what yet. I am just starting with caliber. If i find the money for custom i will either fully or semi custom a rifle, but for now its factory. I dont want a 223. even though its a good caliber. I was thinking something a little larger, so that wind drift will be as little as possible with still shooting a decently light bullet. I was looking towards a 243. win. The velocities are pretty high, the wind drift is minimum compared to the smaller varmint calibers, and it has potential for long range plus it is a popular and easy to find caliber for shells and reloading.

Any opinions or other suggestions on the 243. win or other calibers.

I have a 25-06 that with 90gr Sierra HPBT have killed chucks as far as 550yds back in Ohio.
You can make 25-06 out of 30-06, 260, 270, 280
I just bought 300, 270 once fired brass for dirt cheap from here.
December Sales
I built my 25-06 back in 1970 when it was still a wildcat, and it still drops em.
Tarey

243win, 260rem and 308win...all great cartridges and all readily available in factory ammo. All will kill varmints for as far as you can see and all will kill deer if you decide to 'graduate' from varmints.

It sounds as though you're on a bit of a budget for this project (aren't we all on some kind of a budget??). My suggestion would be to get your hands on a mid-level Remington or Savage. Personally, I lean more towards the Remingtons. With either the Remington or Savage, any gunsmith will work on the rifle and both have good accuracy out of the box and both have excellent accuracy potential with some gunsmith work.

Here are my suggestions as to what you might do with your rifle as you go forward....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

I am an avid Savage fan. Most guys will agree. These would be my pics. Don't let the list price scare you on the Savage web site. They sell for 100 to 200 dollars cheaper. My thoughts would be to look for some of these models used also. There are some out there that have the accu-trigger. They are all pillar bedded. Take some time and check them out.

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 VLP DBM Own one, and is a very nice rifle for the money.

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 BVSS

Savage Arms Firearms > 11 Long Range Hunter Awesome beginner set up with a ton of bells and whistles.

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 Predator Hunter Brush

Scopes:

Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope

Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope

Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope Highly Suggested

Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope Highly suggested

Vortex 8-32x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope High Suggested

Base:
EGW 20 MOA Own 2 of them and will order more later on for other rifles.

Rings:
SWFA Mounts, Rings and Bases Burris Mounts Burris Signature Rings These things are nice for adding elevation if you need to. If not, they are still quite robust.

Just my thoughts. As far as caliber, I started on a 308. 243 in any of these rifles will do the trick. Will be able to shoot some heavier bullets with the 9.25 twist. Light bullets will work well also. Some guys really like the 87grn A-max in 243. Nice thing with the Savages, if you want a different caliber, you can purchase a pre-threaded, pre-chambered barrel that will spin on using the appropriate wrench. There is info readily available on the net and guys here know how to do it. Good luck in your search. Hope this helps.

Tank

The .243 would make an excellent choice. When you're ready to go custom the 6mmBR would be worth a close look.

243, quiet capable, very economical, readily available, easily reloadable...keep it simple.

I would go with a 22-250.... Low recoil... fast.... ammo easy to find. If you get the right twist you can send 77 grain even 80 grain if you need the wind bucker. If you have a deer rifle like 270 or 30-06... a 22-250 would fill in nice for you. I think a 308 is supper accurate but IMO is a little much for vermin... not a "true varmint gun" like you said... But they work... the only draw back to a 22-250 is they are close to not being enuff for deer. But like ya said you wanted a true varmint gun.. 22-250 cant go wrong. A rem 700 vssf is a mean factory stick IMHO.

12 twist in .308 is so versatile, ammo is cheap, accurate and available. Will stabilize 165, 168 and 175 grain for deer and you can shoot flatter lighter rounds for varmint if you wish. Some people tout heavier than that in a 12 twist should you want to go Elk or Moose hunting...but I think that's pushing it.

matt,
You can not go wrong with a .243. I use it as my main varmint rifle and have taken whistle-pigs out to 600yds easily. I found a lightly used Win70 HVB in Wa. for $540 out the door. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned or shot! I can't say enough good about this rifle or caliber. It shoots as good as any Remington or Savage I have ever owned. My longest kills so far were with the 95gn Ballistic Tip, N560 and BR2 primers.
When the barrel goes on it I think I'll try the .243 AI version. I like the fact that the cases stretch less with the AI version AND I get more velocity. With a faster twist I could sling some 105/107's or even the 115gn pills. The 6mmBR would be another great 6mm to use as a varmint round. Super accurate, low recoil and easily competes with larger cartridges out to 600yds. Haven't decided yet, but both have their +'s.
I have owned and used the .223 and two .22-250's. They are great cartridges in their own right but I like the 6mm's better for varmint sniping. :) JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.