Which caliber for Remington 700 long action (3006 bolt face) rebarrel?

Man a lot of posts for a .284. I had a 7MM08 that is a great cartridge for deer, elk, bear. Will definitely build a straight 284. I am in a group of SERIOUS PRS shooters and they are all with 6mm (currently) we have a Private PRS style range to shoot at so I am very fortunate to be able to work loads up at my house 100yd range then go to a First Class PRS range to shoot. I shoot a .260 and it is manageable to shoot and see impact. I don't think the .284 will go over with PRS, but "F" class and a hunting cartridge AUSUM!!!!!
I see some posts with the 25.06 or 25-284. My wife had a 25wssm with great balistics. too bad that cartridge went by the wayside. (she took Impalla and deer, one shot and dropped in tracks). I just sent some loaded Winchester 110 Accubonds and a bunch of brass to a fellow LRH member for his Deer Slayer daughter. Wish my wife still had that model 70 SS MOBA 25WSSM. Ausum cartridge!

Last edited:
I am kind of in the same boat. I already built a 35 whelen with my last one. Leaning towards a 25-06 for pronghorn hunting. Not to steal the thread but what length, rate of twist, and barrel contour?

You will be humping gear for ProngHorn so you need a llight rifle. If gong with a 25-06 LA at least a 24" barrel with a 1in 8 twist for those 150s. If the 25wssm was still around I would suggest it for the short action, I know of on young hunter that is a deer sized SLAYER animals since she was 9 years old. stacking deer up. with a 25wssm. My wife-Jill has harvested Impala Wort Hogs, and 1,000 #+s Zebra in Africa along with White tail here in the southeast,It was going to be my Coyote re when i got it away Jill., unfortunitly Browning Bought Winshteer at the time and woud not replace the barrel, I go into detai in other blogs,

I have a Remington 700 long action with a bolt face for a 3006 and it is the drop floorplate type action for the internal magazine. What are some other cartridge options for this rifle with no modification other than the barrel swap of course? This would be hunting out to 400 yards (deer with a very occasional black bear) and target shooting out to 600 yards. I wish to keep relatively light weight so the barrel will be a sporter or magnum sporter type contour. I would like to keep the barrel to 24 inches max. I will put a brake on it if it is anything more than say a 7mm08 haha as I do not care for recoil lol. Open to all suggestions! As an FYI I do reload so outside the norm cartridges are ok. I currently shoot a 6.5creed, 6.5 prc (my love at the moment haha), 7mm08, 7mm rem mag and a 28nosler. I am trying to avoid hyper barrel burners like the 28nosler but I am ok with slight barrel burners like the traditional 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag. Thanks!
Just because I'm a bit of a... caliber rebel, I'm going to say .240 Wby Mag'..., love the cartridge and caliber, heck... forget the muzzle brake, and make the barrel 26" inches long, and keep the overall weight of the rifle light. Barrel it, in a twist that will handle bullets well up to 110grs it'll get the job done and not beat you up. Good luck!

I just had a ruger 06 action re-barreled with a 26 in #4 kraiger barrel, 1-7 twist 25x284 chambering. I wanted a long range rifle for Elk, deer, Antelope, and bear and I think I have just the rifle. I shoot the new 131 gr Blackjack Ace bullets along with 128 gr Hammer bullets. I shot a cow elk at 245 yards with it and all I can say is WOW. This rifle is awesome. The elk was DRT. I would recommend this caliber to anyone looking for a great shooting LR rifle.

Any pics of the cow and bullet performance?

Any pics of the cow and bullet performance?
No pics of the carcass, drug her out in the dark... She was quartering away from me, shot entered right behind the last rib on the right side went threw the liver and lungs coming out in front of the front left shoulder leaving tennis ball size hole throughout.. I wouldn't be afraid to use this combo on bears, awesome round.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts