Which caliber for Remington 700 long action (3006 bolt face) rebarrel?

I would personally go with a 280 or even the 280ai but the new weatherby 6.5 is also something to really look at
I will ask the op what kind of bear are u going after some people think u need a 20mm anti tank to take down a bear but I have killed 2 black bears and both have been with a 6in 357 mag 2 shots each second was just to make sure it's was all done if your going after any bear bigger than a black bear maybe look at shooting some solids to help with the task

Bigeclipse

Good luck on deciding what you will do with your action. Can't see how you can deterime unless you write a program, put all the blogs into it and come up with the most responce to a particular caliber. The 280 Rem or AI seem to be the most responce, The 284 is a great caliber, but if you put some different parameters on what you are looking for you will come up with dozens of different calibers ranging from .25 to .***. Your bolt size limits you to specific cartridges. All the cartridges talked about are very good, but if you are going for deer and ALSO Bear stick with the larger calibers/bullet weight/bullet type. FPS is good, but EFPs determines the hitting power. I hunt with several different calibers and rifles depending on the situation. Most of the calibers will do the job. Doesn't matter which one you pick, it is up to you to do proper shot placement.

Somewhat similar to the OP here, I have a Tikka M695 in 25-06 that is being rebarrelled to a 280AI with a removable brake. It will have a 8:1 gaintwist, which means that the bullet starts down the barrel at 14:1 and the rifling gets progressively tighter til the muzzle where it's 8:1. 26" barrel.
It hasn't been mentioned here (well maybe it has but I haven't read all of the posts), but if you're considering some of the 6.5 options keep in mind that the 270 and the 280 cartridges both have longer necks than the 25-06 and 30-06 something that could be advantageous if reloading.

Working on refinishing the stock while it's all apart. Just putting on the last few coats of antique oil. It had an epoxy finish from the factory. REALLY ugly to get off. Couldn't really tell what the wood was like under it, but it's turning out really well, if I say so myself
I love the comb on that stock.

6.5-284, .280 Ackley, or a long throated .284 Win. I did this same thing a couple years ago and went with a .284 Norma Match reamer. I run 175gr Berger's in it at 2840-2850 with Peterson brass, RL23, and Fed 210Ms. It's a hammer.
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have 2 30-06's both need new barrels. I thought I had settled on .280 AI but your post has me thinking .284 win with the long throat. I had considered a straight up .284 win and also 6.5-284.
Can 6.5-284 or a standard .284 (not long thrust fit in a short action? I also have a short action that needs a new barrel. I think I remember reading that the .284 needs a "longer short action".

I'd go long action for a 284. I did a switch barrel 6 dasher and 284 on a 700 SA just because that's what I had. Long action will get the full potential out of the 284. Going to try the 140 AH and see how that works in the 284. 155 HH were seated way to deep. Didn't even load any to try. I also got a Wyatt extended box at 2.995".

I have a Remington 700 long action with a bolt face for a 3006 and it is the drop floorplate type action for the internal magazine. What are some other cartridge options for this rifle with no modification other than the barrel swap of course? This would be hunting out to 400 yards (deer with a very occasional black bear) and target shooting out to 600 yards. I wish to keep relatively light weight so the barrel will be a sporter or magnum sporter type contour. I would like to keep the barrel to 24 inches max. I will put a brake on it if it is anything more than say a 7mm08 haha as I do not care for recoil lol. Open to all suggestions! As an FYI I do reload so outside the norm cartridges are ok. I currently shoot a 6.5creed, 6.5 prc (my love at the moment haha), 7mm08, 7mm rem mag and a 28nosler. I am trying to avoid hyper barrel burners like the 28nosler but I am ok with slight barrel burners like the traditional 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag. Thanks!
I just had a ruger 06 action re-barreled with a 26 in #4 kraiger barrel, 1-7 twist 25x284 chambering. I wanted a long range rifle for Elk, deer, Antelope, and bear and I think I have just the rifle. I shoot the new 131 gr Blackjack Ace bullets along with 128 gr Hammer bullets. I shot a cow elk at 245 yards with it and all I can say is WOW. This rifle is awesome. The elk was DRT. I would recommend this caliber to anyone looking for a great shooting LR rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.